Which new piece of hardware ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will OC my GPU but not my CPU because there is not a lot of point, and it's not a K version anyway. No game comes close to really benefiting a lot from a overclocked CPU. They are nearly all GPU bound these days.

I do max all games pretty much. Just not as smoothly as i'd like. BF3 campaign on highest settings dips down to 25fps for quite a while on some levels which isn't satisfactory. And X-Plane I have to play on medium settings. There is no way I can play that on max.

There are people that upgrade much more often than me on this forum...

edit:

I have a potentially better idea of what to spend the money on. TF's favorite piece of tech! the new iPad :grin:

I would go for a new monitor, I bought one the other day and I love using it, looks so much better (I was using my tv before). About battlefield, I can handle it maxed, ill check tomorrow what my fps is. 560ti should be able to handle it.

Acer S240HLbid 24 inch Full HD widescreen LCD monitor with LED Backlight (16:9, 100,000,000:1, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, HDMI/DVI) - Black:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

^^ the monitor I bought. Looks pretty nice and two of them will only set you back £280 not 600 (although I don't know if that 'decent' by your standards). It only has 5ms refresh but from what I read there is not much notable difference between 5 and 2 ms.

I will OC my GPU but not my CPU because there is not a lot of point, and it's not a K version anyway. No game comes close to really benefiting a lot from a overclocked CPU. They are nearly all GPU bound these days.

I do max all games pretty much. Just not as smoothly as i'd like. BF3 campaign on highest settings dips down to 25fps for quite a while on some levels which isn't satisfactory. And X-Plane I have to play on medium settings. There is no way I can play that on max.

There are people that upgrade much more often than me on this forum...

edit:

I have a potentially better idea of what to spend the money on. TF's favorite piece of tech! the new iPad :grin:
I'm really not trying to make it sound like I'm picking on you or anything but you do have a tendency to get things when you don't need them after stating something about finances not too long ago. Maybe I'm a bit conservative in my older age or something, idk.

Well yeah, I know that better than anyone. I tend to buy things.. sell them a few months later.. and buy something else. That way I can try out a lot of cool stuff without actually spending a lot of money, because I get 50 to 80% of it back when I sell it.

Going to another store tommorow to check out some more monitors first though. And then to the apple store to try the new iPad. Then I will weigh up my options.

What can I say.. I like new stuff :D

I would go for a new monitor, I bought one the other day and I love using it, looks so much better (I was using my tv before). About battlefield, I can handle it maxed, ill check tomorrow what my fps is. 560ti should be able to handle it.

Acer S240HLbid 24 inch Full HD widescreen LCD monitor with LED Backlight (16:9, 100,000,000:1, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, HDMI/DVI) - Black:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

^^ the monitor I bought. Looks pretty nice and two of them will only set you back £280 not 600 (although I don't know if that 'decent' by your standards). It only has 5ms refresh but from what I read there is not much notable difference between 5 and 2 ms.

That is a similar spec to my current monitor. I am a man of high standards though.. takes atleast £300 for a 24" screen with a decent image in my books. Maybe I should lower my standards. This TN panel isn't all bad, it does atleast have good blacks and fast response time.

This is the monitor I used,
Dell Ultrasharp LED IPS 23" Monitor U2312HM - Scan.co.uk
I don't really have a lot of experiences with IPS screens, but IMHO the colors were a vast improvement over a TN panel.

it's only an 6 bit panel, compared to the 12 bit Dell U2410. but it is also a lot cheaper :p

I must be lucky I don't care for AA nor texture mods. I've been playing games on my laptop's poor GT 420M.

I do like the U2410 alot.

Tried to get into my local shopping centre to look at one but holy crap it was mega busy so I gave up after queuing for 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom