Which new piece of hardware ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I suck at decisions.

What you think will be more awesome considering my current system spec in sig, I don't have my monitor listed but it's a Samsung Syncmaster 22" TN panel average junk 1680x1050 res.

OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2 OCZ 240GB Revo Drive 3 x2 SSD - Solid State Drive - RVD3X2-FHPX4-240G - Scan.co.uk

GTX 680 GeForce GTX 680 02G-P4-2682-KR EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SuperClocked Card Kepler - Scan.co.uk

24" Monitor, not sure which exactley but something like this 24" Dell U2410 Ultrasharp Widescreen LCD, IPS panel - Scan.co.uk

Also.. side question. I don't think you can.. but is it possible to run my GTX560Ti as a dedicated PhysX in my 2nd PCI-E slot ? Thing is it's not proper SLI enabled. Asin, the 2nd PCI-E x16 slot actually runs at x1 or x4 as it shares bandwidth with other ports. I put my GPU in it accidentally once and it worked okay but performance was crap :p

ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P8P67

I think you should get the monitor :p I hooked up my laptop to a 6 bit ips monitor, and duplicated the screens. it was like looking at 2 different pictures... no joke.

the GTX 560 ti should do physx no problems.
from what I understand, when using a card as dedicated physx, it actually doesn't use SLI. not sure about bandwidth requirements though.

Thanks, yeah the monitor is tempting...

Well the 560Ti as physx is only if i get the 680 of course. Otherwise i'd have no GPU. I guess i can just try it out and see what happens.

If you have a good Nvidia card already then running a dedicated PhysX card will hurt performance in games. It really doesn't help much but let you enable with an ATI card too.

Eh, I don't see a point of upgrading your current system so why not the LCD.

I am off to a PC store to check out some monitors and see what they're like.

But how can you not see the point upgrading my PC ? I get like 20fps on max settings in some games.

You shouldn't. If I could max 99% of all my games at decent frames on the 465 then surely your 560ti should be perfectly fine. Course it was OCed, but I only got around 480 performance with it.

Most games I can max. But I started playing the hunter. 90% of time I get 40 to 60fps, but in especially dense areas of forest, I get 20fps. Battlefield 3 on max is a bit dodgey often too.
No chance at maxing Shogun 2 in a huge battle either. Project CARS runs like crap on max too. But that is only in Alpha, so it isn't optimized to be fair. Mafia 2 on max with physx on can slow down a bit sometimes too. X-Plane 10 consumes all my VRAM no problem, as does IL Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover. GTA4 runs great on stock, but struggles with high res texture mods.

Also you gotta think ahead ;) 560Ti is really not going to be any good 12 to 24months down the line. GTX680 will :)

Still not decided though, want to look at more monitors.

2 years from now 680 is going to perform like the 560 does now so can't really think like that. It'll get worse once the 360 ports start going away and games with newer better engines for the new consoles start rolling out. Course at your rate I expect you to upgrade again anyways which is why I said go for the panel.

And there is no way you could lag Mafia 2 as I never did.

2 years from now 680 is going to perform like the 560 does now so can't really think like that. It'll get worse once the 360 ports start going away and games with newer better engines for the new consoles start rolling out. Course at your rate I expect you to upgrade again anyways which is why I said go for the panel.

And there is no way you could lag Mafia 2 as I never did.

Uh yeah but the 560 in two years is not going to be able to cope at all :p It will last another year tops.

You never lagged at all in mafia ? really ? don't get me wrong it's fine the vast majority of the time but with AA cranked up and PhysX on and loads happening on screen it's pretty easy to get the frames to dip.

Anyway what do you mean 'my rate'. If my GTX 470 hadn't of broke i'd still be using that card I got on release week.. which came out how long ago ? erm... March 2010. Two years per GPU is not bad going. I only have a 560Ti because by 470 broke on me.

I am struggling with the monitors because I wanted two screens. But if I get a decent monitor it's going to be like £300, and two of them will be £600. Also, they are all 1920x1080 these days, so performance will be even worse :cry:

In August I would have had my 465 for 2 straight years and really if it wasn't for Supreme Commander I would still be on my i5 750. If my laptop didn't sell I probably would be on that 465 for much longer. What I meant by your rate is it seems (like my best friend) like you want to make an excuse just to upgrade. There are tons of people on this forum saying they either max or close to max all their games on a 560ti but you seem to differ ;) Because of this, I feel that even IF you got the 680 you probably would upgrade well before 2 years.
That also might be because you refuse to OC your hardware when it can mean the difference between lag and no lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom