BSOD during defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mindovermaster: i did try that but nothing happened, even tried to do a manual search but nothing comes up on c drive, but does show that space is used

Joe c: will try that and see if it helps

Seems to me that there was some malware not too long ago that would hide everything on your desktop and leave you with a black screen. have you checked your pc to see if it is clean?
I have not had a chance to use this yet but Panda is a popular antivirus and they have a boot disk that's supposed to work well. Maybe you should burn this iso to disk and set your boot order to the cd drive as the first boot device. Pop the Panda boot disk in your drive and see if it picks anything up
Panda SafeCD 4.4.3.0 | Panda Research Blog

Could you pm a link to the malware alert of what you think this persons pc may have caught ?
If thats true, he'll need to get rid of the infestation very soon, what surprises me is that windows didn't make any indication of a possible infestation.
Even windows defender if installed in the BG may have made some sort of warning to the user.

If his windows security is down and disabled, your exactly right joe, he has malware problems in there.

IMO, even with windows security, malware can still surpass it. There's 1000+ of malware that get past defender. It's nothing new.

Could you pm a link to the malware alert of what you think this persons pc may have caught ?
If thats true, he'll need to get rid of the infestation very soon, what surprises me is that windows didn't make any indication of a possible infestation.
Even windows defender if installed in the BG may have made some sort of warning to the user.

If his windows security is down and disabled, your exactly right joe, he has malware problems in there.

Here's one instance reported
explorer.exe missing from computer - Microsoft Answers

In this thread the op calls it "Windows Restore virus"
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=83625

There's also some malware that states your hard drive is bad, and by purchasing their software they will fix it....
one called "System Check" is nasty too
If you are infected with System Check it is important that you do not delete any files from your Temp folder or use any temp file cleaners. This is because when the infection is installed it will delete shortcuts found in various locations and store backups of them in the %Temp%\smtmp folder. It does this so that you when try to launch a program from your start menu, none of your shortcuts will appear and thus making you think that your computer has a serious problem. Therefore, you do not want to delete any of the files in your Temp folder as it will remove the backups
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-check

How to remove Hard Drive Diagnostic and HardDrive Diagnostic | My Anti Spyware

These guys will stop at nothing to scam you out of your hard earned money

Here's one instance reported
explorer.exe missing from computer - Microsoft Answers

In this thread the op calls it "Windows Restore virus"
Infected by Windows Restore virus, desktop icons missing - Malwarebytes Forum

There's also some malware that states your hard drive is bad, and by purchasing their software they will fix it....
one called "System Check" is nasty too

Remove System Check (Uninstall Guide)

How to remove Hard Drive Diagnostic and HardDrive Diagnostic | My Anti Spyware

These guys will stop at nothing to scam you out of your hard earned money

Heh, nice find joe, I recommend this guy here follows the thread and see to it he gets rid of the malware/ :)
Before he does that, he may want to back up his files first, as trying to get rid of malware can turn into world war 3 when getting it off.

can't say for sure if the op has some kind of malware but it's always a good idea to check that first before any other fixes are attempted

Ok thanks for all the insight and research..heres what i did
since i wasnt able to boot into anything on the computer
i took out the hdd and plugged to my other computer able to see drive when i go into it no folders are shown
i allow it to show hidden folders and am able to see teh folders then

tried to back up but it didnt take

tried running scans on it but no success
it found one trojan with malwarebytes
was removed but folders still were hidden

so im guesssing this is the final road for this hdd

assumig it would be a horrid idea to reinstall the os, may/maynot work

at this point is it farewell for this hdd??

I think, along with all of the above answers, that it's safe to say that maybe your internal hdd is failing. Try downloading Defragler from Piriform. When you install it, open the program and look under the health tab. The Re-allocated sectors count should read 0-100-100 for each section from left to right, otherwise your hdd is failing, and you should replace it immediately. Be sure to back up any data you don't want to lose if this is the case. Hope I helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom