first time builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcav209

Beta member
Hi there! Looking into building my own pc, mainly to have something worthy of playing diablo 3 on when it comes next month! Never built my own before and its a bit much to take in, so I thought I might post what I'm looking into buying and getting suggestions. Trying to stay under $1000, but as always the lower the better... So here goes nothing.

vid card: ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ... ($129.99)

cpu: Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ... ($209.99)

mb: ASRock Z68M/USB3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ($84.99)

ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7Q-8GBXH ($59.99)

hdd: Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ($99.99)

psu: hec X-Power Pro 650 650W Continuous @ 40°C ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply ($49.99)

Prices are as is on newegg havent exaclty got to the point of searching around for the best deals yet..

Open to suggestions, what I'm doing wrong/right, what else I should get, and do cases have sizes? How do I know my build will fit? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Hi there! Looking into building my own pc, mainly to have something worthy of playing diablo 3 on when it comes next month! Never built my own before and its a bit much to take in, so I thought I might post what I'm looking into buying and getting suggestions. Trying to stay under $1000, but as always the lower the better... So here goes nothing.

vid card: ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ... ($129.99)

cpu: Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ... ($209.99)

mb: ASRock Z68M/USB3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ($84.99)

ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7Q-8GBXH ($59.99)

hdd: Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ($99.99)

psu: hec X-Power Pro 650 650W Continuous @ 40°C ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply ($49.99)

Prices are as is on newegg havent exaclty got to the point of searching around for the best deals yet..

Open to suggestions, what I'm doing wrong/right, what else I should get, and do cases have sizes? How do I know my build will fit? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Its a good start, but you can do much better than that. :\
Newegg.com - AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX

Newegg.com - ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1/4G
^x2= 43.99 or x3=67.99 total which amount you need your getting a good deal out of these.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N550D5-1GI GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
84.99 that should be enough for a mid-gaming pc/ normal usage of computer.

Newegg.com - XCLIO Nighthawk Color Black 0.6mm SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
79.99 this will handle well, matter of fact its newer revision of xclios night hawk.
Customer service is great if you have anything fail.
Contact the manufacturer through the email and they will replace whats needed underwarrenty

Lastly this:
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

About how much this will cost will be 537.99 or a little bit higher all together.
You can do the i5 2500k sandy bridge which is good, but this will nearly rival it in gaming and other high end usage at times.

Thanks mike, for some reason I was stuck on intel but looking over forums (and prices!) I think I might go over to the amd side of things. Had a couple questions though.
I was trying to compare the cpu you posted ( AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX) and another (AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX) for $10 more and the main differences being 4.2GHz quad-core vs. 3.3GHz six-core, and didnt know which was better to have, more GHz or six-core vs. quad.

Another question, not mentioned yet, but I'm trying to get a wifi adapter and from what I've seen the cards are pci 2.2 do those work on the regular pci ports or the pci 2.0 x16??

Thanks again for all input!

EDIT: Almost forgot! Is the only thing that has to match up for the cpu and motherboard to be compatible the socket? Just curious beacause the cpu is an FX-4170 and I've seen motherboards with and without an FX in the name. Pretty sure it's just the socket but just want to make sure. Thanks!

Thanks mike, for some reason I was stuck on intel but looking over forums (and prices!) I think I might go over to the amd side of things. Had a couple questions though.
I was trying to compare the cpu you posted ( AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX) and another (AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX) for $10 more and the main differences being 4.2GHz quad-core vs. 3.3GHz six-core, and didnt know which was better to have, more GHz or six-core vs. quad.

Another question, not mentioned yet, but I'm trying to get a wifi adapter and from what I've seen the cards are pci 2.2 do those work on the regular pci ports or the pci 2.0 x16??

Thanks again for all input!

EDIT: Almost forgot! Is the only thing that has to match up for the cpu and motherboard to be compatible the socket? Just curious beacause the cpu is an FX-4170 and I've seen motherboards with and without an FX in the name. Pretty sure it's just the socket but just want to make sure. Thanks!

In all honesty clockspeed doesn't really mean a thing between comparing AMD/INTEL how they perform for you is all that matter.
If you look at some other threads later today you'll see that people with i5 2500k get along fine with stock or push it pass the speed for one reason or another.
Why did AMD have this chip at 4.2ghz is beyond me but I'll provide you a link with a good heatsink to keep cool and steady.
That FX 4170 can be unlocked to a six core with a good motherboard unlocker, even it if can't it will do what you want it to.
If you rather go for the six core processor and just build around it, thats fine with me ;)
About the cpu sockets with motherboards, yes they need to match up with what their compatible to. :)

Also if your getting a pci wireless adapter for your pc it should have no problem working for you.
Newegg.com - BELKIN F7D2102 N300 Micro Wireless Adapter USB Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates WEP
WPA
WPA2
WPS

Look into this adapter here and check out linksys pci adapter
Newegg.com - Linksys WMP600N Wireless Adapter with Dual-Band IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI WEP, WPA & WPA2 Personal, WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
Between those 2 choices, I would rather stick with a usb adapter, and have more mobile options to take it with me if I go somewhere else while not home.

For the heatsink that should settle it down with this grease:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

Lol Bulldozer over Sandy Bridge. Are you nuts? Get a 2500k. This guy wants to play games, not Cinebench.

Problem ? :)

Let me leave you with this quote also intel is clearly not the hot **** on everyone's pc in every home or business office.
Yes bad reviews by "pros" but when other people see a whole different ball game in action who do you think they'll go to for their first or second computer builds :p
Don't knock it down so fastuntil you have tried it first hand for an hour or so.

Taken from newegg reviewer for AMD FX 4170 Zambezi
Pros: Very noticeable speed boost from the Phenom II 965 BE. I'm not sure why the majority of commenters at Tom's Hardware and Overclock say to ignore this family of AMD CPU's (especially the Intel loyalists that just scream "i5 2500k or die!"), because it's been nothing but smooth performance on my end. Think of it this way, for 300 dollars you can buy this CPU and a decent CF/SLI mobo to combine it with. Usually, Newegg runs sales and combo deals for these items all the time. You'll have alot more cash to spend on other components. A 2500k may look like the best on all the benchmark tests, but most seem to only be a difference of 10-20 FPS on a resolution of 1024x768. Once the resolution goes up, the differences seem to get smaller and smaller. If your gaming, streaming HD video, surfing, and emailing; then I couldn't recommend this CPU enough.

Cons: In my humble opinion, the CPU should only go for 95 watts of power or below. I'm really hoping this gets fixed somehow, but it's not a big deal to me since I have water cooling.

Other Thoughts: Anyone with an AMD system thinking of sticking with Phenom should keep one thing in mind. The old AMD K10 days are over. Every BIOS update, GPU update, CPU update, Windows OS update, and all gaming updates will keep Bulldozer (and Sandy/Ivy Bridge) primarily in mind since it's the newest architecture running on gaming systems. It's just the tech industry moving forward.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful

try this

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

just slightly over budget at $1030, but it has $20 in rebates.

also, to talk about the build you put together:

its best to stick with corsair, antec, and seasonic when choosing psu's. theyve proven themselves to be reliable.

the hard drive you picked out is 'green.' good for storing media, not good for running programs with its slower spindle speed.

you picked the i5-2500 without the 'k'. this means you wont be able to effectively oc it

asrock may be getting better, but i havent heard enough people that recommend that companies motherboards. asus, gigabyte are the top names, with msi in there at the top too.

ram is ram, but i picked some out that is faster for less money.

I don't go by Newegg reviews, never have, never will. It is a well KNOWN fact that the FX CPUs don't handle single threaded apps very well. It takes a stock clocked 4.2ghz FX to beat out its pervious gen brothers and a 3.3ghz true quad core Intel CPU. Sure, this 2500k is a bit more but if I bumped the speed up to 4ghz (slower still) I will have surpassed by quite a margin this CPU according to benches. Then, with a decent cooler you can even go to 4.5ghz which will then further your performance if you so desire. These heat monsters don't OC so well and since it is stock at 4.2ghz I would be willing to bet under air it wont OC very well. Everybody screams 2500k or die for a reason, and that is because it is simply the best CPU dollar/performance right now. Paired with my 580 I don't have to OC to do anything (AA/AF, Ultra/Max) for a res of 2048x1152. My friend who plays with me nightly had to raise his 6100 to 4ghz to reduce CPU based bottleneck on his 6970 on BF3.

I'll end on this, "Most seem to only be a difference of 10-20fps". IMO, that is a HUGE difference and can be the difference between ultra smooth and choppy, or laggy and tolerable. If you go up in GPU horsepower you need to also go up in CPU horsepower to reduce potential stock freq bottleneck. That is essentially what AMD did with this CPU, but for a few more bucks I have headroom because I do that now at STOCK (I have turbo turned off, GPU at stock). If and when I start seeing a problem I have the ability to OC to 4, 4.5, or even 5ghz depending on my cooling. The same can no be said for the 4170.

Just my 2c on the issue. Why settle for the silver medal when you can afford the gold medal? Ultimately, it is up to the OP to decide what he wants.

Edit: Another guy who plays BF3 with us has a 7850. He says it does really well so all in all looks like a decent system.

I like everything but, please listen to pp and.go with an i5 2500k. Even though the amd line may have 6 cores games today will never need six cores. Thats how amd markets;they fool people into believing the company with more cores is betyer.you will never properly utilize all six, the i5 2500k in my opinion is the overall best cpu. The i7 2600k introduces advanced.hyperthreading but your a gamer.hyperthreading is for video editing. Buy the k series of the i5 2500 and overclock it to 4.1-4.2GHz. You can hit 4.2 with a coolermaster hyper 212(air cooling) and be fine and at 4.2 the i5 is the i7 minus the feature you dont need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom