RAID question

Status
Not open for further replies.

YanBooth

Daemon Poster
RAID question, Please help!

I want to put two 10,000 RPM WD's in RAID 0, and then have another Serial ATA storage drive, can I have two Serial ATA in RAID 0, and then have one Serial ATA used?
Thanks
Yan

To get the most out of your hard drives it is recommended that you use different ports for each hard drive.

Maybe you could use 2x Raptors on your SATA RAID, and get a mass storage device as ATA (PATA)?

I keep my drives on RAID on different channels. I get 88MB/s, a similar setup using only one channel would yield around 77MB/s. I know this because I have more than one Dual P3 system in this house. The first one I setup the drives on a single channel. At the time I didn't have another cable lying around and I was in a rush.

Now that I think about it, how do you set up RAID 0 in the first place?
Never actually thought about doing that...
Yan

depends on the harddrives that you get. some of them you can get a utility off their site. i got maxtor's which i would not recommend as my RAID 0 broke twice and barely having used it one just doesnt do anything now.. crappy, anyway.. dang man where are you gettin the money for all this?? i wish i had that much money.

with my maxtors there was a utility on the disk and i used it (maxblast or something) and it recognized both drives and i set them up... hmm now that i think about it.. i may have set them up in the BIOS... not sure. you can do it either way i believe. but probly better results in the bios. there should be an onboard RAID option then you just go through the options. its not too hard.

No, actually it's the host controller that sets the RAID up. That maxblast utility is for diagnostics. It doesn't setup the RAID, or maintain it in any way. For example, my system uses the Highpoint 370 controller chipset. It supports RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 0+1. As an alternative, you can have Windows 2000 run software RAID. However the performance increase from that hardly exists. That's just as good as using JBOD.

Also, my system and my dads are using Maxtor HDDs. I have NEVER had any kind of problem with a Maxtor HDD. However, I can't say the same for WD.

well my mobo has onboard RAID, and like i said i was unsure what i ended up using. there was also an ALI RAID utility that.. kinda monitored or something but you dont need a controller if you have onboard RAID. but im sure youre right about that utility.

Now i remember, i was mistaken about that maxblast, that thing was nothing, it was the ALi RAID utility that tried to setup my raid for me. and it says right on it create raid and whatnot so.. i could only assume it was indeed for setting up a raid. ofc ali is my onboard raid so.

Most likely you will have an onboard option Yan, as most newer mobo's do. so you wont need a controller.

heres the deal on my hd. my first a maxtor 250gb did not recognize the full 250, now i know this is typically a windows problem but there were many maxtor roadblocks in solving this. second was one of my two 160's i had put maybe a few gigs of games on them, and the RAID broke, and the one would spin and go but nothing happened, tried it in a friends computer and it didnt recognize. i did not drop it or anything, it just quit one day (and it was pretty new). so if Chaos you know anything i would appreciate some help cause right now im missing 160 gigs that would put me over the half terrabyte threshhold (and i could try RAID agian) :( (no sarcasm, and no offense, i would like some help).

that is an issue with the different raid setup. it can fail easier that a regular setup and you will be stuck with a bad hard drive. that why I run them in just regular mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom