BSOD during defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

GByte

Baseband Member
Hey guys

I had a pc that was completly unresponsonsive when booting up and was giving multiple windows popped up with errors...figured it was a prgms starting up
but it only had basic things only additional was yahoo messenger
computer did a system repair which allowed it to be functional, but still sluggish
had windows security essential and cc cleaner
but ran cc cleaner only
pc started to move a little better but still sluggish

decided to run defrag
started going through the motions then i got the bsod
computer quickly reset itself then booted back up
tried drfrag again
same deal

anyone got any clues to point me in the right direction

Hey guys

I had a pc that was completly unresponsonsive when booting up and was giving multiple windows popped up with errors...figured it was a prgms starting up
but it only had basic things only additional was yahoo messenger
computer did a system repair which allowed it to be functional, but still sluggish
had windows security essential and cc cleaner
but ran cc cleaner only
pc started to move a little better but still sluggish

decided to run defrag
started going through the motions then i got the bsod
computer quickly reset itself then booted back up
tried drfrag again
same deal

anyone got any clues to point me in the right direction

It could be one of these problems:

1. you may have a ram problem
2.Windows may have new hardware and incorrect drivers for it to make it fully workable.

Or... I maybe wrong here, but it might be related to your psu.
If you had the psu for a long time and it does a quick crash, error and shut and reboot procedure, that maybe the main case here.

When you reply back here, we'll see if we can't narrow down the issue and get it resolved quickly.

Are you able to boot into Safe mode and kill the start-up applications using msconfig or the registry?

I actually smell HDD corruption or failing. If it fails during a defrag, that normally means there is a bad sector.

I actually smell HDD corruption or failing. If it fails during a defrag, that normally means there is a bad sector.

Ok, I'll dig that for now, in the meanwhile provide him a utility link to scan his hdd in dos bootup and see what happens.
If the scan gives up between 10%-45% with too many bad sectors he may as well start to back up what he can and plan on getting a new hdd soon.

Hey guys sorry for the late response, was a friends pc and wasnt able to get back to it until today...now its kinda worse...sorry to say...but here goes
Now the pc boots into a black screen...tired system repair, last know config, safe mode to no avail
But on the black screen i have a responsive cursor and ctrl+alt+del works..no applications are running but in processes its only crss, dwm, taskmgr and winlogon exe files only
Tried finding some possible solutions but no luck...based on the last issue with the bsod on defrag im assuming bad hdd but confused on why it boots normally and i can log off through taskmgr and log back in to same my black screen

Any suggestion
Thanks again

Seems to me that there was some malware not too long ago that would hide everything on your desktop and leave you with a black screen. have you checked your pc to see if it is clean?
I have not had a chance to use this yet but Panda is a popular antivirus and they have a boot disk that's supposed to work well. Maybe you should burn this iso to disk and set your boot order to the cd drive as the first boot device. Pop the Panda boot disk in your drive and see if it picks anything up
Panda SafeCD 4.4.3.0 | Panda Research Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom