canusa53

Baseband Member
On brand new build

ASUS P9X97 Pro
eVGA GTX 560 ti
Intel core i7 3820 quad LGA 2011
Corsair Memory Vengence 16GB DDR3 1600

Windows 7 Professional

Help, plz......Windows and BIOS not recognizing half of RAM. Have re-inserted RAM earlier when building because at that time it only recognized 12 GB. All set up (pretty much) now and the other 4 has gone a missing. Rechecked DIMM slot config when I re seated the first time however I could now use some ideas as to how to ascertain what is up. Workin' out the bugs and tuning things in............
Thanks.

Well, troubleshoot the modules and the DIMM slots. Do you have any other RAM you can put in it? Or better yet, take one stick of that 16gb that you're sure is working and try it in each slot. If they all work, then test all of the sticks. If THEY all work, post back so we can help you more, because I'm not too keen on the software aspect of it :p

On brand new build

ASUS P9X97 Pro
eVGA GTX 560 ti
Intel core i7 3820 quad LGA 2011
Corsair Memory Vengence 16GB DDR3 1600

Windows 7 Professional

Help, plz......Windows and BIOS not recognizing half of RAM. Have re-inserted RAM earlier when building because at that time it only recognized 12 GB. All set up (pretty much) now and the other 4 has gone a missing. Rechecked DIMM slot config when I re seated the first time however I could now use some ideas as to how to ascertain what is up. Workin' out the bugs and tuning things in............
Thanks.

This may sound like a sill question here, but which windows 7 pro you got ?

Windows 7 professional 32bit x86

or

Windows 7 Professional 64bit x64 ?? :)

Windows 7 x64 will only utilize and see between 8gb-12gb anything else it will be reserved for the system itself.
This thread here is similiar problem to yours but its no biggie, you might want to check your memory timings and make sure nothing isn't pushing it for windows not to recognize all of your ram.

Solved 12GB RAM only 8GB usable - Windows 7 Forums

Certain Windows will only allow you to have up to 8 or 12GB of RAM (Like Home), but Ultimate will allow up to around 128 or some ridiculous amount. Since so many people on here have Home Premium or Professional with more than 12GB of RAM then I'm going to guess his problem is something else.

Certain Windows will only allow you to have up to 8 or 12GB of RAM (Like Home), but Ultimate will allow up to around 128 or some ridiculous amount. Since so many people on here have Home Premium or Professional with more than 12GB of RAM then I'm going to guess his problem is something else.

Of course so, when I spoke to soul before rebuilding my machine awhile back I had asked about windows 7 x86 and x64 versions
He mention some stuff that makes since of what your saying.
That link, you need to read it again thoroughly, it may not be windows 7 pro itself and maybe his memory thats causing some issues.
Thats what I sensing from his issues he listed here. :\

Thanks for the comments and ideas ..........and by the by the OS is 64bit...........however the problem has been solved. Simply re-seated and switched a couple of slots. Checked BIOS (was cautious due to newness to poking around there) but ASUS has made it pretty friendly. Found how A1 and B1 were not recognizing the sticks.........so I pulled those out but switched one with D1 stick for good measure and to see if it was RAM or DIMM slots.........re-seated, making sure of secure contact and lo and behold.....she's good to go. However it is evident Windows 7 Pro will allow more than 12 G and I have the 16 for photo/video edit purposes. I do realize under many circumstances the system will use far less and knew that going in. Thanks again, to you all.

Yea I figured it wasn't Windows. I know for certain very low grade versions of Windows doesn't allow more than 8GB but I had doubts about the more expensive versions of x64 restricted RAM. Wouldn't make sense for Home Premium or Pro x64 to restrict RAM.

Thanks for the comments and ideas ..........and by the by the OS is 64bit...........however the problem has been solved. Simply re-seated and switched a couple of slots. Checked BIOS (was cautious due to newness to poking around there) but ASUS has made it pretty friendly. Found how A1 and B1 were not recognizing the sticks.........so I pulled those out but switched one with D1 stick for good measure and to see if it was RAM or DIMM slots.........re-seated, making sure of secure contact and lo and behold.....she's good to go. However it is evident Windows 7 Pro will allow more than 12 G and I have the 16 for photo/video edit purposes. I do realize under many circumstances the system will use far less and knew that going in. Thanks again, to you all.

So, it WAS a hardware issue? Yeah, I'm always right :angel:

So, it WAS a hardware issue? Yeah, I'm always right :angel:

:angry: "Mike-Techno holds back tj with one hand on tj's chest holding him back and the other eating eating his prized cake"
Yes you were right, but you never came back to finish off the job, mguire and I have stole the rest of your prizes and finished off the job.

Try again next season.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom