Computer had stroke this morning. Time to look into Ivy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj_extreme

Daemon Poster
So this morning my worst nightmare came true. The computer wouldn't turn on. So after about 1/2 hour of troubleshooting, I decided to take a 6950 out. It still wouldn't boot. So I took the other one out and put my HTPC card in it. Still nothing. Changed out the RAM. Nothing. Tested the PSU, it's fine. All my drives are good as well. After about another hour, it dawned on me. The motherboard took a ****. So I had to get on the old P67A-UD3-B3 that I kept after the whole RMA fiasco with Gigabyte. I set everything up (but with a 6450 in it this time), and it booted. I got to my desktop, made sure I didn't lose any data, then proceeded to shut it down and install one 6950 at a time. Once again, it refuses to boot. Not only is my motherboard bad, but so are both of my (good) GPU's. Can't make a warranty claim on either of them. So now I'm stuck with a 6450, and the UD3 board. Which means no 5.0+ for my 2600k :cry: Around the end of April I'm going to start building a new one, and give this one to a friend. Assuming Ivy is out by then, and there are some new Kepler cards out, what should I throw into it? I'm willing to spend about $1,500 on it, but if I need to I can bump it up to $2,000. That price doesn't include an OS, Keyboard/Mouse, Monitor, etc. Just the tower. I'd also like it to be a full tower case, for my ever expanding collection of drives.

Sure your PSU is fine? If your board and cards just went out I would be getting a new PSU too. Normally when a motherboard goes it doesn't take anything with it. It just goes silent.
I personally are not going to be looking into Ivy as I think OC will be hampered a bit, but that is just my personal opinion.

Sure your PSU is fine? If your board and cards just went out I would be getting a new PSU too. Normally when a motherboard goes it doesn't take anything with it. It just goes silent.
I personally are not going to be looking into Ivy as I think OC will be hampered a bit, but that is just my personal opinion.

I tested the PSU in another rig, and it's fine. I was planning on buying a new one anyways. But I am sure the Mobo and GPU's are done.

I didn't mean the board, but the GPUs. XFX are pretty good with their RMAs. They RMA'd a bios modded, volt modded (physical), heatsink modded 7950GT of mine. I had a Zalman VF900 on it until I sent it back then I put the stock cooler back on which had obvious marks of having an 80mm fan zip tied to it. They sent me back an 8800GS lol.

I didn't mean the board, but the GPUs. XFX are pretty good with their RMAs. They RMA'd a bios modded, volt modded (physical), heatsink modded 7950GT of mine. I had a Zalman VF900 on it until I sent it back then I put the stock cooler back on which had obvious marks of having an 80mm fan zip tied to it. They sent me back an 8800GS lol.

I'll try, but I have my doubts. Still, I want a new rig anyways.. I'm not opposed to Ebay to save money, either :tongue:

Companies don't care nor can they tell if you took the heatsink off or overclocked your card unless you leave physical damage or actually tell them. Long as it has the stock bios and cooler when you send it back that's all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom