Move 30GB Hard Drive Data To New 120GB Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidWatersUGP

Baseband Member
Hey Everyone,

I just got a Maxtor 120GB Hard drive, and I currently have a 30GB Maxtor in my computer at the moment. I know a lot about computers, but hard drive images are one of the few things I have little experience with.

I would like to keep my operating system, XP Home, and all of its programs, files, settings, etc all together. Basically, the currect exact state it is right now as if I'm on my 30GB. I've seen my school use images to put the same image on like 20 computers.

Trust me, I'v had to re-load program after program on my dads computer and I'm already sick of doing it, so I want to avoid that lol.

I'm pretty sure there is a way do to this, and if so, can you tell me how, or give me a link to something I can read so I can pull this off. Don't want to put a fresh install of XP and reload everything and re install programs and all that stuff.

Thanks!
David Waters

Can I do this without CD's, because 15GB of data wont fit on a Cd...I wonder if there is a way I can like just move it over to the other drive or something. pls help.

Thanks!
David

go to maxtor website. download their cd iso. image driver and software file. burn it with a program like easy cd creator or alcohol.

install maxblast 3. select the copy hard drive to another hard drive option.

this will only work if one of your hard drive is a maxtor's (you have two, so that shouldn't be a problem)

Norton Ghost you can ghost the image and put it on the new drive just have both the drives in the computer and run ghost it will make an exact copy from one drive to another.Ive done it alot with no problems.

sPlAtOiD said:
Norton Ghost you can ghost the image and put it on the new drive just have both the drives in the computer and run ghost it will make an exact copy from one drive to another.Ive done it alot with no problems.

Good suggestion.
try this or use DriveImage or V2i instead of Ghost.

Or get PartitionMagic, hook up both drives and copy the entire windows partition.

Or get PartitionMagic, hook up both drives and copy the entire windows partition.

Does PartMagic copy the MBR and everything? I'm not doubting you, I just never thought it would.

DavidWatersUGP, I've found Ghost to work pretty good, it's also pretty fast.

I am not 100% sure about this:

I PRESUME if you copy a primary+active partition from disk A to disk B it will set it primary+active just like the original.

As long as it sets it active just like the original partition it will probably boot in exactly the same way. Not sure what PMagic does if there's already an existing ACTIVE partition on drive B.

I have PartitionMagic, I'll be sure to try the copy thing several of you are talking about. Should this work, or should I use ghost. Just wanna double check...might use PartitionMagic in a few minutes though

Its relatively save, so I would try PartitionMagic. Just make sure you don't delete the old partition before u are sure it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom