Video Card Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

crud_tud

Baseband Member
Will a Radeon 9800 Pro work with my Intel 825 ATX motherboard? It has an AGP slot but the entire system is quite old (almost three years old) and limited (2Ghz and 256MB ram).

Your PC might bottleneck that GPU but to my knowledge it will work. You gotta make sure you have at least a 350W PSU but usually if you have a lot of components in your PC and if you are going to demand a lot from that GPU (like playing Doom 3 or HL2 on everything high and with AA) you should have at least 400W PSU to ensure stability.

i assume the card is 8x AGP, is the AGP on the mobo 2,4, or 8x? it should fit and work nonetheless, as in, if your mobo is 4x AGP, the 8x card should be backwards compatable.

You have to find out what speed the mother board is, if it is less than 8x than you will notice a decrease in the performace compared to a mb with 8x agp slot. You might be able to get away with a 4x agp but if you go lower its not worth it to upgrade. If your mb is 2x agp than it might be better to upgrade your mb, which means you would be buying a whole new pc.

If your mb is 2x or 4x it will bottle neck your system.

It would help to know what the speed of your agp slot is, than we can help you decide what you have to do next.

I should add that I plan to upgrade my computer at some point in the mid-future. In the meantime, if I can get some benefit out of the card now, then I'd like to get it now, but if it's gonna hurt my system somehow, then of course I'll wait. My Mobo, as far as I know, has whatever kind of AGP slot was state of the art back in early 2002.

One more thing -- this is gateway's info on my system (straight from their website under "my configuration")

System
Intel 82802 Firmware Hub Device (7/1/2001)
Intel 82801BA LPC Interface Controller - 2440 (7/1/2001)
Intel 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443 (7/1/2001)
Intel 82801BA/CA PCI Bridge - 244E (7/1/2001)
Intel 82850 Processor to I/O Controller - 2530 (7/1/2001)
Intel 82850/82860 Processor to AGP Controller - 2532 (7/1/2001)
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System (7/1/2001)
Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver (7/1/2001)
ACPI Uniprocessor PC (7/1/2001)

Does that help at all?

I'm sorry, when I said upgrade I meant replace! My bad. I plan on using some of the parts from the gateway (HD, CD, keyboard, that's probably it!), plus the new video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom