Best Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a gaming computer, I would recommend a CRT over an LCD. LCD screens normally run at a low refresh rate (60Hz) - this can affect your framerate in games. Secondly, LCD are fixed resolution - if your game doesn't run at the resolution of the screen, you will have problems. Also, if you want to run the game in a higher resolution than the screen is - it won't work! Finally, LCD pixel changes are not as fast as a CRT - so you will get "ghosting" in fast action (like games!). This is not as much a problem with newer screens, but still an issue.

I would recommend a Sony Trinitron Screen - 19-21" for gaming! (Any manufacturer with "Diamondtron" technology will be the same thing - maybe cost less!)

Overall, I think a CRT is much better for gaming. Just my two cents!!

same here, dave...but if you've got a good graphics card,..say an ati 9800 pro or the ultra fx5900..then why not, right?

i just think

that lcd has a clearer picture, ,but i personally own a samsung 753df, flat SCREEN not flat panel monitor, and you are right, it is better for gaming, i had just thought that he wanted an lcd monitor

digdug

You opened up quite a lot of suggestions from people, which is why I said it was 'quite the question.'

hehe

Everyone has their low-down on the best way to go etc. and everyone here who has posted has great info.

For your question on where to find on line how-to on build your own, I'm not sure...I do remember seeing some things like that on Tom's Hardware. I do know that there is quite a lot of things to 'just know' about all the compents to put together, and for those that are 'into' computers, or have a natural desire it is fun and a productive learning experience. however, if learning about these compenents doesn't sound fun, then going with the name brand would be great.

I kind of equate it to cars...I'm not a gear-head and would not want to know the benefits of altenator A over Altenator B, or why a certain gear ratio is better etc. So I can't really recommend any specific brand components over another but here are some tips:

Monitors

LCD screen - look for its bandwidth, contrast ratio and how well it deals with 'smearing' high motion video movement. they also have some problems with the angle at which you can look at the screen - just as in laptops where a 2nd person may not be able to make out the screen very well from a side angle. They are also fairly limited in maximum resolution. I currently have a SONY 17" w/ a max res of 1280x1024 and fairly good stats - but I also have a flat screen CRT as well.

(daveppeters covered this in his post too)
FLAT screen CRT - look for refresh rates, vertical refresh ... in a simplified explanantion ... determines 'how fast' the monitor is able to draw the information it receives. A kind of software work around this limitation is called vertical sync, which many games and or video settings in your OS will allow you to turn off - ie just let the monitor draw as fast as it can while not making sure to syncronize it with the coputer video output. However, 'tearing' and other anomolies will occur. "OMG he totally missed me with that shot!" is a quote that I'd may expect from someone with Vsync off - they missed the part of the motion which showed him getting hit. Also, look for vertical refresh rates of > 75 hz or so for whatever video resolution ie Vertical refresh rates will be specified based on which resolution like 60 hz at 1280x1024, 75 hz at 1024x768. So keep this in mind when you see 'MAX RES 1600x1200!' advertised because at 60hz it just sux. Under florescent lighting, which in itself flickers, low refesh rates on monitors can strain your eyes...especially on white background screens. I personally think anything over 75 hz looks pretty well. My Sony lcd is running 1280 x 1024 @ 75 hz.

CRT 'BOAT ANCHOR' BUBBLE FISH EYE Monitor. Okay so the title has a little bias. :) These are the old type CRTs that weigh a ton, and aren't that bad...but after you use a FLAT screen CRT the difference is 'intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.' Not to say they are shite in the least. I have used many old monitors (new at the time) and they peform quite well, and have/are cabable of great resolution and refresh rates and in now way are 'bad.'

Tomster was exactly right, imho, on the mouse. Many gamers like the optical mice and I have one - the extra buttons, mouse wheel scroll are extremely handy. Don't know if they still make keyboard like this, but watch out - some really cheap ones had a 3-key input limitation where you couldn't input more than three keys at one time...but these were usually the really really cheapo kind than shipped with 'brand x' clones. old PS/2 mice supposedly have better refresh than USB 2.0 mice, but I don't honestly think this has a major impact in gaming. Now the logitech wireless and other wireless have refresh rates less than wired mice. There are newr wireless mice, especially logitech's new one that recharges in a cradle which are very respectable. I have a wireless logitech key/mouse combo and I absolutely love it to death. My couch is now an extremely great place!

I think the $1000.00 quote on a previous quote is not an unreasonable budget for a kick-ass gaming machine at all. Some things, like video cards can run upwards of over $500 amercian, for a great video card - but you are paying a lot for something that only increases performance marginally. Kind of like paying an extra 3 thousand for a $10,000 car that has 30 more hp over the regular model...for the car enthusiast it is worth it.

Good look on your endeavor, and I'm sure that you will, in the end, come to have a love/hate relationship with your new computer. ;)

Chalk

Once again, thanks guys. Based on yall's (I'm Texan) input, I think I will go with a CRT, 19 in hopefully. samsung or trinitron flatscreen.
To this point, it looks like I will be purchasing an Alienware system, but once again there is a question. You all say that AMDs are superior to Intels, alien has two models, the area 51 comes with intel and is their top line model, and the other(Aurora) comes with amd and is cheaper.
This has been extremely helpful. Thanks

if you do decide to build your own

if you should be inclined to build your own computer, go to new egg.com it rocks, it has cheap parts and a good friend of mine said they will ship it out the morning after you order it and it only takes about 4 days

dethangel, hyperthreading does not add performance to games as the processor you stated best for games ;) And if its performance vs cost i would definately go with the AMD Barton 3000+ rather than the P4 3.2ghz

deffinetly flat screen, not flat panel
i run all my games at 1600 x 1200,which no flat panel monitor can support
my monitor is a mitsubishi diamond plus 91 19" monitor

as far as my pc goes

here are the specs:

500 watt powers supply
midtower atx case with spider windows
4 80mm case fans
1 80mm neon fan
DFI LANPARTY Pro875 motherboard
Volcano 7+ fan with speed control
pentium 4 2.4ghz @3ghz w/800mhz bus speed
1gb pc3200
120gb maxtor
120gb maxtor
120gb maxtor
gefore fx5600 256mb ddr video card
soundblaster audigy gamer
I have windows xp and windows 2k

total price ]
$1100

i put this computer together in about 15 minutes and got the software and drivers setup (including windows xp and 2k)
in a few hours

Good steal fresstyle thats a nice computer, but i was just curious as to why you chose the FX 5600 over the ti4600....

for a monitor, definately go with CRT because LCD isnt as fast as CRT and can affect gaming - for CPU, i dont notice any stability difference between P4 or AMD, P4 can be faster and they can come with "hyperthreading" but are more expensive than AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom