Possible HDD failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapchop

Beta member
I was running crystal tools about a month ago and I was shot a couple of error messages about my HDD by that program. My reallocated sector count on this particular drive is 22 (RAW value) and the current pending sector count is 6 (RAW value). This is a 2 GB drive. These values have not changed at all in the month that I have been observing them. The drive is about 2 years old. I was having problems with speed on this particular drive about six months ago so I backed up everything on it and wiped it and I haven't been having any speed problems since. The data I put back on the drive is still ok and has not degraded any. Should I be concerned?

If it was 2GB, I would say you have an ooooooold computer. :p

Have you run Crystal tools since the reinstall? When you reformatted it, it probably skipped those bad sectors. So they are still there, just hidden. I would look at getting anew drive, or send the current in for an RMA.

What is your HDD manufacturer?

Hitachi is the manufacturer. And yes I have run crystal tools since the reinstall and it shot me the same errors, but, as I have said, these values have not changed in over a month of observation and the drive speed returned to normal after reformatting.

I'm not TOO concerned if it fails since I'm running a RAID array so I wouldn't lose anything, but it's still quite annoying.

I'd say your HDD is degrading. Has anything showed up in your RAID controller or SMART of it degrading?

I think it's on it's way out.

Nothing so far on either. I'm just gonna go ahead and replace it just to be safe. Thanks for all the help.

Replace it! If it's 2 years old and it's a hitachi replace it NOW! Those drives are prone for bad sectors when they hit 2 years+ so I suggest getting a newer and better drive manufactuerer. Such as fujititsu it is much better as it usually lasts longer. I have used them before and they lasted about 6+ years and it also is resistant to bad sectors for longer.

*cough* I have a whole stack of WD 20GB drives. They were around the 95 days. Still works to this day. (Well, not being used atm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom