Desktop power-up issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cafem

Baseband Member
Hello again,

So a while ago I posted this problem, which was successfully resolved. I referred to this thread before trying my fixes, but now I have a similar issue; came home last night and there was no power being distributed across the mobo. Switching the PSU off and on flashed power through the mobo, but nothing would switch on, no fans would spin up etc. I removed RAM until there was only one stick left plugged into the A1 slot, I removed all PCI components and took it down to having just CPU attached to mobo, and the 24pin and 8pin cables attached to the PSU.

I highly doubt its the PSU (its this one) but I haven't ruled it out; when I hold my ear to it, the PSU makes a faint buzzing sound. Since it was a PSU problem last time, I checked immediately for any smell of burning transistors.

Does anyone have any tests I can try to confirm the source of the problem? And/or any idea as to what the problem sounds like?

Many thanks.

About the only thing you can do is swap out the PSU with another. Only way to be sure.

The PSU doesn't necessarily have to smoke to be bad. It can just simply die, or not preform.

Ty for the response.

I've got another, more power appropriate PSU being delivered (tomorrow, apparently.) So I'll try that and come back crying if it doesn't work :)

Someone else is complaining of a buzzing sound coming from their PC as well I can't be sure but I think it may have something to do with the PSU but it may also be the CPU or Fan failing. I don't actually know the pinpoint cause but I am sure it's one of the 3 I suggested hope I helped :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom