Building my own computer, Whats your opinion on these parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, posts while i was sleeping, okay so.

Nukem: Cant say im a fan of CoD :p
But i do enjoy Navel and airforce warsims.

Jasonalways: I dont think ill need to overclock the CPU, its pretty powerfull as it is., and thanks for the benchmark site.

Gogo: Ahh Thanks!, i had suspicions that the HDD wasnt terrific.

Also: The Pc wil be used for mostly highend gaming, and occationally for storeing sketchs and such, but i doubt id need a 580 for sketchs.

I play BF3 on a GTX560Ti and can max it, so a single 680 would be killer. Two would be crazy, but in a good way.

Optimal setup would be an SSD for your OS, programs on a separate disk, and data/files on a third (larger) disk. If your source can get them, you can get a large SSD for OS and games. If money is no object then an OCZ RevoDrive X2 or better would be most excellent.

I play BF3 on a GTX560Ti and can max it, so a single 680 would be killer. Two would be crazy, but in a good way.

Optimal setup would be an SSD for your OS, programs on a separate disk, and data/files on a third (larger) disk. If your source can get them, you can get a large SSD for OS and games. If money is no object then an OCZ RevoDrive X2 or better would be most excellent.

this.

I play battlefield maxed with a 560ti as well, not sure of you were suggesting a 680 Trotter or didn't realize the OP was looking at getting 580's. Either way Lumix if you want to save money a single 580 or the new 680 will handle anything at the moment if you don't care about money like you said get 2x 580's. Or even better 2x 680 like trotter said. Way, way overkill but it will definitely last.

this.

I play battlefield maxed with a 560ti as well, not sure of you were suggesting a 680 Trotter or didn't realize the OP was looking at getting 580's. Either way Lumix if you want to save money a single 580 or the new 680 will handle anything at the moment if you don't care about money like you said get 2x 580's. Or even better 2x 680 like trotter said. Way, way overkill but it will definitely last.

And by last you mean.... 3 years? Or more?

since im building this one myself, I suppose when the parts arnt playing the games at peak, I could always just swap em out?

And by last you mean.... 3 years? Or more?

since im building this one myself, I suppose when the parts arnt playing the games at peak, I could always just swap em out?

I haven't been in the PC game long but I would say definitely more than 3 years, especially if it's a couple of 680's. Yeah you can always swap them out if you feel they aren't performing how you want them to, although I doubt that will be the case for at least 4-5 years. Look at the gtx 480, it was released back in march-April 2010 and can handle Battlefield 3 maxed and will most likely still handle games maxed for a while to come. If that is anything to go by then two 680s will last more than 3 years.

Someone else who has been playing PC longer than me (which is pretty much everyone who comes on the forum daily :p) can confirm/tell me im wrong (hopefully not) as i can't be completely sure and don't want to mislead you.

As was said, a single 580 is fine. I guess they missed the "budget isn't an issue" part though AND you want it to last a while. Dual 580s or 680s will last you quite a long time. Gaming is at a stand still for yet a few more years until the consoles get an upgrade in hardware and even then it will take a while for newer engines to flood the graphics market for PCs.

Even though Green drives really aren't as slow as most people say, I will hop on the bandwagon and say get an SSD since budget isn't a problem. No point having such a boss rig if you are going to be slowed down by a mechanical drive on the OS.
Since you chose a quad core chip I would actually recommend getting a 2700k setup instead. Reason being, is when Ivy-Bridge comes out (pretty soon) you can upgrade to that and have native PCi-E 3.0 support. If you decide to go SLI 680s it will help in the long run. Not only that, but be cooler and I think turbo is higher.

Just to be reasonable here and put it out there 3 years ago I got a midrange PC and it lasted me fine this whole time with some OC. I only upgraded because I found a steal of a deal on Craigslist. Getting top of the line parts now will last you 4 or 5 years if games keep going the way they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom