Clicking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betanonymous

Beta member
I was wondering if anybody could help me with an issue regarding a clicking sound in my computer.

I was moving my computer across my desk, probably should have shut it down beforehand, and it randomly shut off. I don't think I pulled the power cord out, or did anything to shut it down but I guess computers nowadays have a safety shutoff so the hard drive doesn't get damaged?

Anyway, I rebooted the computer and it seemed to work fine except for a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from the PSU. It wasn't continuous but happened at startup and whenever I launched some programs. The thing is that now it has stopped completely and I haven't heard it in many days.

Could the issue have resolved itself somehow or was there no issue to begin with or could there still be an issue?

Clicking normally comes from the HDD. Try running diagnostics on your HDD, from Western Digital or Seagate. They each have HDD diagnostics.

The computer is actually really new and the power supply has already gone out on it once. I did a check with Seagate and it passed. Everything has been working well for the past week, so I dunno. There is nothing on here too important right now honestly, but I'm just afraid it's going to start messing up when a game I have been waiting for finally comes out.

If the clicking hasn't happened since the first time should I still be worried?

+ 2,145. :p

Back everything up and buy another hard drive. You might even be able to clone it onto he new one and not have to worry about a reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom