Building my own computer, Whats your opinion on these parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumix

Solid State Member
Evening gents, So as i said in the title, Im planning to build my own computer, Budget isnt really an issue

These are the parts i have been considering so far.

CPU: Hexcore-i7 3820
Motherboard: Asus Rampage-IV Formula-BF3-X79
Ram: 8gb kit 2133 g.skill ares
Graphics card: 2 GTX 580 Inno 3d
HDD: WD Green 3T
PSU: Corsair TX750

Now, Am i missing anything? If so, Ill edit my post and throw that part in too, Also: Can anyone reccomend any betters parts for any of these,

Also: How long will this be able to play games, Max graphics, with no lag? I'm trying to build a computer that will last me quite a few years in the gaming department.

I know you said budget wasn't really an issue, but 2 580's are kind of over kill unless your going to do some hard core OC, and SUPER heavy gaming. My 570 is handling every game I have so far with little efforts. and I know the 580 can take a good punishment before any drop in performance. A single 580 will last you a few years before you might even think about SLI or upgrade, IMHO.

I would also suggest a smaller hard drive for your OS and main programs, then the 3TB for your media and what not. you won't lose anything that way if you ever have to slick your system. You could take the money from the second 580 and put it towards a 120GB (or better) SSD drive?

Oh Nukem?
I didnt even expect x2 580's to be able to handle some of the modern games, GW2 max graphics, ect.
I was considering changing them to 680's Haha.

As for the hard drive, Good suggestion, Ill look into it.

As for everyone else. Thanks so much for the help, I appreciate it.

I will say this though. I don't play MW3 or GW3, so I cannot comment on those, but what I have seen from reading on the review sites and personal replies, that card shouldn't have an issue with max/close to max while playing (depending on your resolution, of course)

I play Skyrim, Metro 2033, FEAR 3, Crysis 2, etc... I'm already in the military, so I don't want to practice my combat skills. :p

PP Mcquire just got a 580 (I believe) so he might be able to comment on the performance better than I can.

the hdd that you picked out is a green version. that means it will not be very fast. if you have lots of media, photos or other like things, keep it, but also get a 1Tb samsung spinpoint f3. As budget is not an issue, get yourself a 120 or 240 gb ssd drive from intel to put your most used programs and os on.

also, get the 680 or the 7970's from amd.

be careful about getting the super fast ram. i think it could limit what you can overclock your cpu too later. i think 1600 speed ram would be a good spot to be in. or perhaps nevermind if you dont plan to overclock. it may make sense to get an aftermarket cooler, or maybe water cooling for the rig.

if you are getting multiples of the graphics card, you may want to bump the psu (corsair good choice) up to 850 or so. ill defer to someone else...

I am no techie but I built a pc a few months ago and here's what I can say:
1.if budget is not an issue then definetly consider an SSD (Best SSDs For The Money: February 2012 : Best SSDs For The Money: February 2012)
2.two 580s is an overkill unless (what nukem said). here's tom's review (Benchmark Results: Lost Planet 2 (DX11) : GeForce GTX 580 And GF110: The Way Nvidia Meant It To Be Played)
3.the hard drive u chose is not the best (what nukem said). I'd suggest a wd black.
4. consider an aftermarket heatsink for longer lifespan, or if u intend on OCing

please mention what use is this pc intended for (gaming, video editing,..) so we can give you a better advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom