Input signal confussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan7777

Baseband Member
Hi I'm looking for an ASUS monitor from Canada Computers and the listing on the specs for input signal has me a little concerned.

This monitor has 'PC input' and 'Video Input' listed as two different cables:

"PC Input: DVI-D/D-Sub PC Audio Input: 3.5mm Mini-jack
Video Input: HDMI 1.3 AV Audio Input: HDMI 1.3 Earphone jack: 3.5mm Mini-jack"

Canada Computers | LCD/LED Monitors | Asus VE247H, 23.6" Widescreen LED Monitor, 1920x1080, 2ms(GtG), 10,000,000:1 (ASCR), 300cd/m

Does that mean some Monitors don't accept HDMI as a PC input, even if they has the connection for it? But others might accept both? Or is it always DVI that is used for PC input?

Thanks for any feedback.

Some monitors do not have a HDMI port. DVI is more commonly placed with computers. IIRC, HDMI was first more used in video game consoles and Blue-ray players before it came to computers.

But, yes, that one does have HDMI, if you want to use it.

No it has HDMI listed but not for PC use, like you can hook other things up to it just not PC. So that makes wonder if monitors that have the port aren't always for hooking up a PC. But your saying that now there are monitors that accept the HDMI input from PC?

Because I'm looking at the Asus IPS monitor and it has everything listed under:
"Signal Input : HDMI , D-Sub, DisplayPort, DVI-D"

The whole reason I'm getting a new monitor is to get rid of blurring/ghosting with an HDMI connection so HDMI connection from PC is important.

hdmi doesnt need to be important. only if you do things that require HDCP compatible devices.

if its just straight up pc gaming then a DVI cable will give just as much performance without the audio, but if you want to go any higher than say, 480i then you'd want hdmi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom