Build or buy? Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not too worried about building it, after researching im confident I can do it. I've picked out a few parts and posted them in my first post. Let me know what you think

While they are all great components that you've picked, you're going to go way over budget.

Using Newegg prices you're currently around $995.
RAM you can get for ~$40, so not a big deal, but if you need a copy of Windows thats $100.
And then there is the video card, which if you're a "big time gamer" you'll want to put $250+ into.

If you need to cut some costs I'd say:
(-$30) ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN 3 instead of the PRO version, you don't lose much.
(-$30+) Seagate Barracuda 1TB is quite a bit cheaper, or consider if you'll need all that space and get a smaller drive.
(-$60+) I know cases are personal preference since you're the one looking at it, but IMO the $ could be better spent elsewhere.

While they are all great components that you've picked, you're going to go way over budget.

Using Newegg prices you're currently around $995.
RAM you can get for ~$40, so not a big deal, but if you need a copy of Windows thats $100.
And then there is the video card, which if you're a "big time gamer" you'll want to put $250+ into.

If you need to cut some costs I'd say:
(-$30) ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN 3 instead of the PRO version, you don't lose much.
(-$30+) Seagate Barracuda 1TB is quite a bit cheaper, or consider if you'll need all that space and get a smaller drive.
(-$60+) I know cases are personal preference since you're the one looking at it, but IMO the $ could be better spent elsewhere.

Thank you Roark, i am going to update my first post with the changes youve mentioned, i am new and open to all advice and trust your advice a little more than my own right now, as for the case, i like the one i picked but i saw one that i cant for the life of me remember the name, it had a side compartment where all the wires would run through to keep the inside clean of wires. I liked it but cannot remember the name.

Im not too worried about building it, after researching im confident I can do it. I've picked out a few parts and posted them in my first post. Let me know what you think

building a computer really isnt that difficult, you put a square peg in a square hole and a round peg in a round hole, turna few screws, put a cd in the drive click next a few times and you are done. plus you got all of us here to help you with any quetions you might have during the process. just take your time and if something seems like its not fitting, its because it doesnt fit, dont force it ;)

dont get a Z68 board, you arent going to be using the features it has to offer... get a MSI P67AGD55 motherboard. i heart that board.

if you can, i really would put more money towards a high end graphics card, a GTX 570 is a great card, now that the new generation cards are out, i would also look at a 6970.

:grin:

building a computer really isnt that difficult, you put a square peg in a square hole and a round peg in a round hole, turna few screws, put a cd in the drive click next a few times and you are done. plus you got all of us here to help you with any quetions you might have during the process. just take your time and if something seems like its not fitting, its because it doesnt fit, dont force it ;)

dont get a Z68 board, you arent going to be using the features it has to offer... get a MSI P67AGD55 motherboard. i heart that board.

if you can, i really would put more money towards a high end graphics card, a GTX 570 is a great card, now that the new generation cards are out, i would also look at a 6970.

:grin:

Thank you Sean, i updated my first page on the Graphics Card, and the Mother Board, see any other corrections? Also is all of these components compatible?

if you can, get the 2gig version of the 570, it will help in very demanding games like BF3. but its not mandantory!

looks good man! the only other thing you are going to need is a CPU cooler.

the BEST bang for your buck cooler is the

Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus evo CPU cooler

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

^clicky the linky

EDIT:

one last thing! i expect pictures when its done! :p

if you can, get the 2gig version of the 570, it will help in very demanding games like BF3. but its not mandantory!

looks good man! the only other thing you are going to need is a CPU cooler.

the BEST bang for your buck cooler is the

Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus evo CPU cooler

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

^clicky the linky

EDIT:

one last thing! i expect pictures when its done! :p

Okay going to add the CPU cooler to my list, and will make sure to get the 2g of the 570, also i was going to try to shop around and maybe get some of the parts used to save some money because i noticed you saved like 700$ on yours, i will post pictures i just need a little time. not going to buy all parts at once, but once i get them all in im definitly going to be asking questions on putting it all together

Final Build (it wouldnt let me edit my original post for some reason)
Case-Corsair 600T-159$
Motherboard-
MSI P67AGD55-159$
CPU
- Intel Core i5 2500k-219$
Ram
- Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB-49.99
Video Card
- EVGA GTX570 (2560mb)-349$
SSD
-Corsair Force Series 3 CCSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60gb SATA III Internal Solid State Drive-94$
HDD
-Seagate Barracuda St1000DM003 1Tb 7200 RPM SATA 6.0 GB/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive-114$
PSU-
CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W ATX12V-109$
DVD-
Sony Dvd Burner-20$
Windows 7 Home Premium-119$
CPU Cooler-
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo-35$

1426$ newegg prices, but over budget but i can fit it in.

Would this, http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...36/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1332557796&sr=8-11, work instead of the one i have listed above, this one is 279.99 new only difference i saw was its right at 2.0g instead of 2.5g, or should i stick with 2.5g

looks like a solid 2 year+ computer! way to do your research and ask questions!

the 2gig from amazon will do just fine ;)

check overclock.net for buying used parts, thats where i bought all my parts. literally everything i bought from that forum used from members

looks like a solid 2 year+ computer! way to do your research and ask questions!

the 2gig from amazon will do just fine ;)

check overclock.net for buying used parts, thats where i bought all my parts. literally everything i bought from that forum used from members

Awesome thanks for the site, i was just looking for one that i could rely on, definitly will use this one. going to start off with ordering the case maybe tomorrow sometime and work my way thru the parts list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom