My new rig is done!!!1!!11

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright guys,

so for what ever reason the Ethernet port on my motherboard stopped working, but i fixed it, so i was very happy about that, dont have to clutter up the inside with a wifi card or anything like that.

but now... instead of chasing the performance rabbit down the proverbial hole like i was with my last build, im chasing the sound rabbit! gosta be quieter man!!!

the fan on the cooler is by far the loudest thing in the rig, closely followed by the stock Corsair rear 120mm exhaust fan. so they gotta go!!!

im looking at getting Noctua fans to replace them, but man, spending $45 on 2 fans seems like a lot of money, im finding it hard to justify that price...

im currently looking at getting seperate fans picked out, i dont care for blue or white leds, looking at red/green atm not sure. And as for the wifi card that reminded me i guess im going to be needing one for mine then because i cant run an ethernet across the house...

the fan on the cooler is by far the loudest thing in the rig, closely followed by the stock Corsair rear 120mm exhaust fan. so they gotta go!!!
im looking at getting Noctua fans to replace them, but man, spending $45 on 2 fans seems like a lot of money, im finding it hard to justify that price...
They're not a whole lot cheaper, but I did some research on these (link) and they seem pretty quality.
Can't remember exactly, but I don't think they like being horizontal, so one could replace your rear 120mm but considering the HSF orientation you'd probly want to look elsewhere to replace that.

yea roark ive bene looking at those... i saw a review on youtube where a guy connects them to a voltage thing where he can slowly raise the voltage, and it seemed like anything passed idle the started to get pretty loud.

hey guys,

a bit of an update... not really anything yet, still waiting for my seller to send me the second card.

but i downloaded a sound measuring app on my phone its called " Sound Meter " by Smart Tools Co., it can be found in Google play store, its a free app that has gotten a lot of good reviews. so anyway, i measured the acustic levels of my computer at idle and load with my phone sitting in the middle of the desk with the mic of the phone overhanging the edge of the desk heres what i got

Idle: 39dba
Load: 44dba

to get these mesurement, on the idle i started the app, left the room for 5 minutes and came back, the app keeps track of the minnimum, average and max dba's, so i took the lowest measured sound level as my idle.

load, i started furmark and prime 95 and turned my fan controller all the way up, reset the app so it cleared all the previous values left the room for 5 minutes, and took the lowest measurement as my load temp. it peaked at 78dba's but that was probably me putting the phone down, getting out of the chair, breathing etc.

so im going to replace the 2 weekest links as far as noise producers go, the fan on the cooler and the stock 120mm corsair rear exhaust fan with noctuas and see what difference its going to make. ill bet putting noctua fans in there will drop the idle sound to around 30dba's. the cooler fan is crazy loud, easily the loudest thing in my computer.

for fun, i turned the graphics card fan up to 100%, that peaked at 68dbs! haha, that thing got loud as heck!

feel free to get that app if you have an android phone and tell me what your computer registers at.

memer, i had the phone in the middle of my desk with the mic over hanging the edge of my desk, and my computer is about 2 feet away from the mic on the floor.

EDIT:

also, i installed Crysis ( the original ) and i get about 70fps average with the one 6970...

i turn AA off cause crysis has a coding problem, having AA on doesnt improve the picture at all, everything else was at enthusiast (highest ) @1080x1920

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom