Need some help replacing and finding the correct ram for a sony vaio!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksey84

Solid State Member
Want to upgrade my ram on my sony vaio vgn fw11m running OS 64 Currently have 2X 2GB ram in my laptop and want to upgrade to either 1x4GB and a 1x2GB or 2x4GB depending on cost! So could you point me in the right direction to finding a cheap answer to my problem. I am a UK resident also. Thanks for your help it will is greatly appreciated!

Brooksey84

Always happy to help out someone from the motherland! o/

You'll need to tell me what kind of RAM you have though, im assuming PC2 something, as that model has a dual core processor.

but most of that model have at least 4gb from stock, so .... i wont take any chances.
you'll need to either open it up and check whats in there (it may be printed on the side of the SODIMM stick) or use a program like SIW or system information for windows, which will determine it for you. or google some other program that will tell you, your memory type.

it'll probably be pc2-6400 though, seems sony pumped that out in those models, but i can only go by what google tells me. And with sonys "build your own" system, the stuff inside could be completely different.

ebuyer.com do a good trade in the old RAM, dont go to the highstreet. PC world will rip you off

Always happy to help out someone from the motherland! o/

You'll need to tell me what kind of RAM you have though, im assuming PC2 something, as that model has a dual core processor.

but most of that model have at least 4gb from stock, so .... i wont take any chances.
you'll need to either open it up and check whats in there (it may be printed on the side of the SODIMM stick) or use a program like SIW or system information for windows, which will determine it for you. or google some other program that will tell you, your memory type.

it'll probably be pc2-6400 though, seems sony pumped that out in those models, but i can only go by what google tells me. And with sonys "build your own" system, the stuff inside could be completely different.

ebuyer.com do a good trade in the old RAM, dont go to the highstreet. PC world will rip you off
Is this the information that you are looking for?!

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Ok i posted a reply to this but it seems to have vanished!!! Used SIW to get the info.

Mem type: DDR2 (PC2-6400)
Manufacturer: Samsung
Model:M4 70T5663QZ3-CF7
Capcity: 2048mb
Speed: 400mhz 400 x 2 = 800
EPP SPD support: NO
XMP SPD support: NO
Supported frequencies 266, 333, 400 mhz

X2

Edit
Currently running windows 7 home premium 32 bit but willing to reformat to 64 bit if needed to increase performance.

System memory is 4gb but only 3gb are usable. If that helps?!

Hope you can help! Also are there any upgrades that i could buy for my laptop? Just wondering wanting to get some more info!!!

From my research, that laptop normally came with 4GB of DDR2 PC2-6400 (DDR2 800), Vista Home Premium 32bit.

Exactly WHICH operating system are you using? What does CPU-Z from cpuid.com show your system memory being as?

Below is information from Sony on that laptop model.
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Slots: 2
Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Also, some system memory is shared with your GPU, and will not be available to your OS for use. You should consider using a 32bit platform with 4GB being the maximum the system supports.
I am not from Euro, (laptop was only available in europe apparently) so I am unsure of what websites are available to you where you can purchase RAM from if you do in-fact have 2GB of DDR2 800. Hopefully one of our euro users or someone that frequents them websites will come along and be of more help.

Also, please use the Edit Post button at the bottom of your post to insert additional information. Doubling up on posts doesn't get you help any faster.

EDIT: Maybe this will be of some help, after you determine exactly how much system RAM you have, it is best to use two sticks of the same type/brand/speed when upgrading RAM, which means you will want a 2*2GB kit, and nothing less, but I think your already running with 4GB...
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO VGN-FW11 Series&Cat=RAM

Currently running windows 7 home premium 32 bit but willing to reformat to 64 bit if needed to increase performance.

System memory is 4gb but only 3gb are usable. If that helps?!

Basically any DDR2 SODIMM memory will work.
Desktop memory won't work with it, and DDR3 won't work with it.

But in order to use more than 4GB memory, you need a 64-bit OS.

If you're using a 32-bit OS, the amount of RAM it can possibly use is 4GB minus the amount of VRAM your video card has.
If your video card has 1GB VRAM, you'll be limited to 3GB.

So if i upgrade to 64 Bit OS then i will be able to use 2x4GB then? And it will definatly work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom