sharing drive and remote desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
I'm thinking about setting up a linux box that I can have my wife save any of her important school documents to. Can I share out a drive, kind of like what Winblows does, or do I have to install something like Apache? I was planning on just mapping the linux box's drive to her computer.

Also, I wasn't planning on hooking up a monitor to this machine. What remote desktop programs, like PCAnywhere, would you guys recommend for Linux?

if you want a windows like network neighborhood type solution use samba

a very simple way is just set up ftp on the linux box and use ftp to move files

remote desktop?I know some exist, just dont know what their called off the top of my head, linux is multiuser though, telnet works quite well but its command line only if your not using a box that runs X, if you are, then you can run anything and export the display to the box your using as a client.

I frequently do stuff on my machines remotely using telnet or ssh

I wasn't looking for a network neighborhood. My intent was to map the linux box to a drive letter, and have it look like an extra drive to my wife. I've done this before with Windows machines, but wasn't sure how to do it in Linux.

I think I'll try telnet. I just wanted something so I didn't have to hook a monitor up to this small computer.

Thanks for the suggestions horndude.

Samurai, no, she's not on a Linux box. I've thought about installing Linux on it, so I can start getting rid of WinME, though.

Thanks horndude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom