Daemon Poster
I have another system running these specs:

MSI KT4AV (MS-6712)
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
3x256MB PC2100 DDR
eVGA GeForce4 MX440 64MB
80GB Western Digital Harddrive
Windows XP Pro

When the machine boots, and in the DirectX Config, it shows the processor running as an Athlon XP 1800+ at 1.5Ghz, and it only picks up 512MB of the 768MB of Ram. I completely wiped the harddrive a few days ago, just to make sure nothing was installed I didn't want. I also made sure all the drivers were current and up to date, including the chipset drivers. When I went into the BIOS the check the FSB it showed the CPU running at 100Mhz, and FSB on a 2400+ chip is supposed to be at 266 if I am correct. So the FSB on the motherboard should show 133Mhz right? Is it safe to change it to 133Mhz in th Bios? Will this even correct my problems?

if you have a manual read it
i made this exact same mistake and nubius told me how to fix it, there should be jumpers on your motherboard that set your processor to diff FSB, as for your RAM try removing it piece by piece to find which is messing up, or run memtest

mine included a part about jumpers on the motherboard telling me how to change from 100-133-200 using 3 jumpers in various configurations... before i knew how to do this i tried to overclock it in my BIOS because i knew it was supposed to run faster. but it wouldnt POST or anything.

Are you sure all of your RAM modules are fitted correctly in place. Try re-adjusting them and make sure that they are properly inserted. If still no luck then perhaps try the RAM in a different machine. If it is still not being recognised then it is most likely that it is faulty. This should help regarding your RAM problem.

Retro.

Simply try to boot the PC with one of thw sticks ALONE in the slots at a time. This will make sure that they all work, and then you can do the same trail and error with each DIIMM slot to make sure there isn't a problem there.

If all works out ok, then I would start to look at Bios/Cmos problems.

Thanks for the info Leonidas, it turns out that there was a small blurb on FSB settings. The board is automatically set at the default 100Mhz, and has to be adjusted in the bios to 133Mhz.

Alright I changed the clock frequency in the Bios to 133Mhz, and its now runnning as it should be as a 2400+ at 2Ghz. I also move the Ram around, and its now picking it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom