2 GB RAM vs. 1GB Dual Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the same with the P4 bus system. When they say 800MHz bus they mean 4X200.. Four being the data rate and 200 being the speed. In other words, sending quad pumped information through the bus is as good as having a real 800MHz bus. However the bus still only runs at 200MHz..

If that is 400MHz memory, it is doing double data rate. 2x200=400

If you have dual channel memory, just double that and that is your performance. However these memory buses are separated.

So each channel is pumping out 2 "chunks" of data per cycle at a speed of 200Mhz.

That would be better than having just a 4x200 system. Having dual channel memory means each bus can be accessed at the same time. So your system can access up to two banks at a time, granted they are on different channels.

i think i got it. a single stick of PC3200 (DDR400) single channel would be 2X200 equalling 400mhz, then on top of that, i'm running two of those in dual channel, which means, 2X200X2 totalling 800mhz? so my original post in this thread was technically correct?

I don't know how they call it, but the "real" speed is 200MHz for each RAM module. Though it operates with 2 channels simultaniously at double data rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom