Motherboard mouting problem, help required. (never seen a case like it !)

Status
Not open for further replies.

braduk2

Beta member
I have been building computers for many years now but thought i would check on a forum before trying something.

I have just got a new case and the mounting screw holes are very strange. Some holes are as should be, others are raised ! Hard to explain but what i mean is some screw holes are normal like every other case i have seen in my entire life, some of them the metal is pourposly mounted so some holes are higer then others !

This causes a problem as when the motherboard mounting screws are in place the ports (keyboard USB etc) dont match the same height as the back panel. If the holes were not risen there would not be a problem.

The only way i can see to solve this is to put washers between the surface of the case and the surface of the motherboard then screw into the case. The washers would stop the mobo touching the case.

What do you guys think ?

I have just rethought my idea and dont know if it will work anymore,

Ill attache some pics

Tnx

o1.jpg

o2.jpg

The taller ones might be for the motherboard.. The shorter for some other kind of mounting, perhaps for better heatsink/fan support? The screws can go through the motherboard and into the chasse for extra support? That is the only thing I can think of.

You can always use really big spacers.. :p

It's kind of hard to tell how many big/small mount's there are on that board with those pics.

You cannot just screw the motherboard straight onto the chassis without first puting in those screws !

If you do you will blow up the whole rig !

Actually, the store I work at sell a lot of cases that have those raised bumps in them, and when we build systems we just screw straight into those raised holes. Make sure that all those raised bumps line up with the screw holes on your motherboard ( which have a copper ring around it anyway, so that your screws don't short out the board ) and don't hit the back of the motherboard away from the screw holes. Where I work, we build probably 20-30 systems a week, and we screw straight into those bumps on a case, no problems.

If you REALLY want to be cautious tho, double check with someone who has used that exact same case before.

some of those hole are for pent mobo's, some are for amd (the ones sticking out)

put your in the right holes and you should be alright

If you're miffed about it, get some screw-in standoffs.

If it's an ATX-format case, it should have all the holes you need for an ATX motherboard (or whatever form you use).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom