Budget PC for general use - Compatibility+Cooler+Case recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
Hi, I'm building a new PC for general family use: internet/office, etc. - basic stuff, but old Pentium 4 unable to handle this anymore, so I have following setup in mind:

CPU: Intel i3 2100
MOBO: Asus P8H67-M PRO B3 (Link)
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2GBx2) 1333MHz CL9 (TW3X4G1333C9A) (Link)
HDD: Samsung F3 500GB 16MB Cache (HD52HJ)

So, first, what do you think about this setup and part's compatibility?

And secondary, I have a trouble finding CPU cooler.
Stock Intel fan, though is generally OK for this PC, is using push-pin mounting, which is very messy and unreliable. I had a lot of troubles with it in the past.
So I need a retention-plate-based quiet cooler for 1155 socket, some popular type maybe, so I'll be able to find it outside US. Any recommendations for it???

And another thing, I also need to find a case, classic-looking compact one, somewhat ventilated, and silent, with at least 120mm fans, with USB ports in the upper part of the front panel (maybe USB 3), also to be able to contain 2 CD/DVD drives.

Will be glad to hear your opinions and suggestions

Thanks

- AndreiD

The chosen parts look fine, and everything is compatible.

For a cooler, keeping silence in mind, I'd go for a Noctua NH-U9B SE2 (link).
They are popular internationally so shouldn't be hard to find. Only downside is they are fairly expensive.

I've been looking for a silent case myself and it isn't terribly easy.
I'm really leaning toward the Fractal Design R3 (link).
Like the Noctua cooler it is on the more expensive side, but unlike Noctua products I'm not sure how available they are internationally.

Hey, thanks for response

I've found that Noctua NH-u9B SE2 Fan (Link) here has the same price as Hyper N, about 50$m. The reviews are great, so I'll go with it.

Regarding the chasis, the Fractal Design R3 is a good one, but it's pretty pricey here, but I found on the company's site Fractal Design Define Mini case (Link), which is a lil bit smaller and cheaper, and fits perfectly with mine requirements (except the price, still).

The only bad thing, is that I'm already about 100$ above mine initial budget for the build, but it seems like it's impossible to go more cheaper without avoiding really crappy components...

I've noticed that the motherboard does not have internal USB 3 headers, so to connect case's front panel USB 3 ports, I'll have to put some extension cable to the back panel, cut it and then rewire it to case's internal connector,cause sadly it seems like no ready cables for it exist on the market.

Anyways, maybe you can recommend some Asus P8H67-M PRO B3 -like motherboard with equal features and similar price, that has internal USB 3 header as well?

I poked around and I'm fairly confident that the H61/67 series boards don't support internal USB 3 headers.
So I see one of two options:

1) Get a Z68 board that has internal headers.
This may increase the price a little, although you may find some suitable options from MSI or ASRock.

2) Ignore it.
The case only has 1x front USB 3 connector, is it worth modding the case to run a cable to it since you'll have to give up a rear connector for it anyway?

Well, its worth making front port useful anyway, even if it means "transfer one rear to front" bacause it will be used mainly for portable HDDs I own, which take advantage of USB 3 interface, so the USB 3 port need to be accessible easily.

All other USB devices of mine are USB 2 and stationary so they will have no problem sitting on the rear of the case.

I'll have a look at z68 boards also

I made a little search, and found no boards, even z68 chipset, that has internal USB 3 connector. At least in my price range.
So I guess I'll ha to do the mess with the cables...

Just my 2 cents, but if your over budget, my first thought would be to get a similar but cheaper case. That one if nice and all, but a quick search on Newegg will give you some options... most cases today have 120 or 140mm fans, so unless you right up on it, your not going to hear but a little whisper anyway. My case has 3, 120mm and 1, 140mm and I can barely hear it. I get more noise from my GPU than I do the case fans.

I've gone with the Factual case, and an Asus mobo as I planned first. I found some cable adapters to connect back panel port to a front panel. Ordered all the stuff.
So I'll just wait and see how it all assembles together :)

*and by the way, my personal PC is also receiving a long-planned upgrade these days - just ordered a new OCZ Vertex 3 240GB for system HDD replacement :) !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom