Radeon 9800 display problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xylitol

Beta member
Ok, I'll try to put as much detail into this as I possibly can...

It started a few weeks ago while I was playing Planetside, the graphics suddenly became all distorted, but then went away, it would only last a few minutes sometimes seconds. This went on for about a week.

Then it got worse, huge vertical lines would appear on the screen as well as distorted and blotchy graphics, but not only would it happen during game play, it would also happen when I wasn't doing anything at all. This time it wouldn't go away, I had to restart, then I found out my video card was loose so I tightend it some and the video went back to normal for awhile.

Then it came back, so I took out the card and noticed the fan was clustered with dust, it was packed, you could hardly see the fan, so I cleaned out the dust, and put the card back in and it worked fine for awhile.

Then suddenly it started doing it again, but this time it was worse, I would shake a window on my computer and it would turn yellow, my mouse would leave a blue trail of black backgrounds. So I decided to disable my video card and reinstall it, so I did that. That problem was still there, but this time, it was so bad I can't even leave my video card in anymore. When I start up my computer it starts with a bunch of lines, numbers, and squares everywhere at the start up screen, I can't tell what is going on. Then when Windows finally loads, there are just thousands of little lines all over the screen, then about 10 mins later, my monitor will cut off.

I figured it might have been my monitor at first, the tube was going bad, but I haven't had one problem since I took my video card out. I thought it might be a heating problem so I left the card out for awhile then put it back in but the same problem occured. I don't know what happend, it was fine one second, the next it wasn't.

So I ask, what is wrong, does anyone have any ideas, if so...is it possible to fix it or am I just plan screwed and have to buy a new video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom