Why? It just doesn't seem smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
his processor is his in sig, he is using an aMD xp-m 2400+ that he overclocked but otherwise that could hold its own in the lower settings of games.

Leonidas said:
his processor is his in sig, he is using an aMD xp-m 2400+ that he overclocked but otherwise that could hold its own in the lower settings of games.

Thanks.

you goto look at it this way if technolagy moves faster now than it did it will only get quicker which means grafix cards, cpus,etc will drop more in price than they previosly did so that can only be good for the consumer,as for peeps wanting better games than need better fps the qucker they make these the better because then the grafix card market will have to keep up so hopefully cards like the 6800 will drop considerbly more than cards like the 9800xt etc in its day thats how i look at it anyways

What kind of $80 processor are you using?
yes I'm using the 35w 2400+ XP-M it has the barton core which has 512k of L2 Cache opposed to say the desktop 2400+ a t-bred series...so it has half the wattage, double the L2 Cache, high die temperature and great overclockability, I'm sitting at 2.6GHz right now from it's stock 1.8 you definitely can't go wrong with this chip. I got the IQYHA stepping which I read is one of the better overclocking chips....

Currently I got a 256mb stick of PC2700 ram and a 512mb stick of PC3200 ram, so I underclocked my PC3200 to meet the speeds of the 2700 so my system could have a nice 1:1 ratio, I was able to OC my PC2700 RAM to 186 so basically DDR372 instead of DDR333 by default ;) So that's not too bad....I can't wait to get some OCZ Platinum Edition Rev 2....I was gonna go with corsair but apparently OCZ blew them away with this set of RAM...performance wise and overclockability...

I really appreciate this comment
Not a problem at all! :) I like helping people find the right parts they need without breaking the bank. Too many people are too quick to say GET AN AMD64!!! when infact it's not full utilized so with my OC'd system and especially if I start OC'ing past 200FSB with enhanced latency RAM I'll cream any 64 machine out there....but socket A is dying out, that I'll admit, but it'll still be atleast a year before it's like 'DAMN! YOU'RE STILL On SOCKET A!?!'

Nubius said:
yes I'm using the 35w 2400+ XP-M it has the barton core which has 512k of L2 Cache opposed to say the desktop 2400+ a t-bred series...so it has half the wattage, double the L2 Cache, high die temperature and great overclockability, I'm sitting at 2.6GHz right now from it's stock 1.8 you definitely can't go wrong with this chip. I got the IQYHA stepping which I read is one of the better overclocking chips....

Currently I got a 256mb stick of PC2700 ram and a 512mb stick of PC3200 ram, so I underclocked my PC3200 to meet the speeds of the 2700 so my system could have a nice 1:1 ratio, I was able to OC my PC2700 RAM to 186 so basically DDR372 instead of DDR333 by default ;) So that's not too bad....I can't wait to get some OCZ Platinum Edition Rev 2....I was gonna go with corsair but apparently OCZ blew them away with this set of RAM...performance wise and overclockability...

Not a problem at all! :) I like helping people find the right parts they need without breaking the bank. Too many people are too quick to say GET AN AMD64!!! when infact it's not full utilized so with my OC'd system and especially if I start OC'ing past 200FSB with enhanced latency RAM I'll cream any 64 machine out there....but socket A is dying out, that I'll admit, but it'll still be atleast a year before it's like 'DAMN! YOU'RE STILL On SOCKET A!?!'

It seems I will have to spend a little more money than you. I searched zipzoomfly, newegg, and tigerdirect and all I could find with the Barton core is a 2800+ which is $144 retail or $128 OEM. I'll have to get back with you on the overclocking. I've been interested in it but have never learned anything about how to do it.

Nubius said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-439&depa=1

that's the 35w 2400+ XP-M right there for $101 I can't believe it's that high though! I bought mine and it was $87, then it jumped up to $90 something, then down to $83 and now it looks like it's back up....at $100 at that! Ridiculous

I guess the "mobile" name threw me off. Would the wattage mean I would have to have certain specs on my mobo? All I know without looking is that my mobo is a Soyo K7VME that is made for a socket A processor. Is the only advantage of the 2400 M ability to overclock? If so, being that I don't even know anything about overclocking (yet) it might be a better deal for me to get the 2800 Barton w/heatsink and fan for $144?

it runs at half the wattage simple as that :D Your motherboard doesn't need to have any specific settings or anything at all....the chip commands how much power is drawn and it's just drawing less power from the PSU than a normal desktop would, so this gives you much lower temperatures...

And yes basically the only reason you'd want to get the 35w 2400+ XP-M is either you have a laptop or you want to overclock it, people don't buy those chips to put in the desktop for the hell of it although it's better than the 2400+ XP because it's got 512k L2 Cache.....

If you aren't comfortable with overclocking and haven't read enough into it then yeah for safety reasons it might be better to go with a chip with preset speeds that you can put in and not worry about it...being that the 2800+ is also the barton core technically you can still OC that chip too although the multiplier may be locked and temperatures would be a lot higher than the mobile chip.

Also your motherboard has to have adequate options in the BIOS for overclocking such as Multiplier, CPU Frequency, AGP:pCI Bus lock, access to all voltages and ability to change them incrementally, stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom