Dedicated Video Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshking122

Baseband Member
Well today i just figured out that my AMD Radeon HD 6550D Graphics Card has the total graphics memory of 3052MB. Well im a PC Gamer and i like playing RP and FPS well i was playing GTAIV on Low because it lags on high and i was like wth Why is it so laggy on high. Cause in the graphics menu if i max everything it sas "Graphic Memory Usage" 512/140 we reccomend lowering the graphics for better gameplay' SO im like wtf? if all i can use is 512 Graphic memory why does it show 3052MB Total graphic memory on my Graphic card. we i was checking through my computer and i found info on my Videocard. This is what botherd me It said Total Avalible Graphics Memory 3054MB Dedicated VIDEO Memory:512MB Shared System Memory:2552MB well atleast now i know why
my pc gaming isint that good. Now what i would really like is if i could change those options to
Dedciated Video Memory:2552MB
Shared System Memory:512MB or something close to it i just want more dedicated Memory so my gaming can impove. Thank you
Oh yea something bad happend to my Graphics Card i updated it through Window's thingy or something where u goto properties of a device and u click update driver i did that and it updated now all the video's i watch are green :(. Ima restart computer to see if something happens

You have a laptop I am guessing? Well even if this is a desktop you are using onboard video that shares the system memory for its purpose. Now the tricky thing is this. If it is a laptop, your outta luck. There are very few laptops out there that will allow you to switch video cards. Those ones are high end machines. I got a HP that can do it, it cost me $1000 for the laptop.

Now if this is a desktop you will have to see what type of connections you have on the inside and from there you can purchase a video card. But keep in mind that the PSU or power supply will come into effect as well. Last thing you want is to go all out for a new video card just to find out that your PSU can't handle it. So slot type and PSU specs will be needed.

No its a desktop and ok thanks But are you sure i can add more Dedicated memory if not than. Im going to comp USA so they can teach me or tell me a good video card and psu and all of that im new to adding parts on computer's so I dont know anything. and if its not possible to add more dedi memory Can you please give me a link to a better video card and CPU i know about Newegg but i cant tell the diffrense bettween COmputer part's so a total price is all i need

It'd be hard for us to suggest you anything if we don't know your system specs.

Open up your case, look on the PSU, there is a sticker. What manufacturer and wattage is it?

Use CPU-Z to find out what motherboard you have. I doubt a new CPU will change anything in gaming.

CPU Z didint tell me what motherboard i have anyways im going to open the case and tell you the wattage and Manufacturer of my PSU
Update: My case is open right now i found were the power supply is i also found the sticker And the Brand of the PSU is "Bestec" and it sas somewhere on the sticker 300W MAX That mean 300 Watt's max. So im guessing if i were to get a video card im def going to need a new PSU i dont know if 300W is alot but it seems little to me. but than it show's some where else after a whole bunch of number going like +5V +3.3V 175W MAX +5V, & +12V, 268W MAX.

So confusing but i hope i gave you enuph info im going out of state Friday to chicago to see my
biological father again if i gave u enuph info and if u could find me the best price to upgrade my videocard BEFORE friday that would be great so than i could ask him if he can provide the money to buy it.

CPU Z didint tell me what motherboard i have anyways im going to open the case and tell you the wattage and Manufacturer of my PSU
Update: My case is open right now i found were the power supply is i also found the sticker And the Brand of the PSU is "Bestec" and it sas somewhere on the sticker 300W MAX That mean 300 Watt's max. So im guessing if i were to get a video card im def going to need a new PSU i dont know if 300W is alot but it seems little to me. but than it show's some where else after a whole bunch of number going like +5V +3.3V 175W MAX +5V, & +12V, 268W MAX.

So confusing but i hope i gave you enuph info im going out of state Friday to chicago to see my
biological father again if i gave u enuph info and if u could find me the best price to upgrade my videocard BEFORE friday that would be great so than i could ask him if he can provide the money to buy it.

Ok thats part 1 of it, please go to start, my computer, right click on it, hit properties, choose device manager. :)
Once you have it open, find the cpu and motherboard icon link and expand it by clicking the + sign.
Tell us what it says in windows, and we should be in a better position to get you the info you need. ;)

Sorry Mike, but that is wrong. It does not list your motherboard.

In CPU-Z, there is a motherboard tab. Click it.

GSkill_CL6_DDR3_Default_CPU-Z_wm.jpg

Sorry Mike, but that is wrong. It does not list your motherboard.

In CPU-Z, there is a motherboard tab. Click it.

GSkill_CL6_DDR3_Default_CPU-Z_wm.jpg

No it's not mind, sure cpu-z provides you the information for his cpu, ram statistics and other stuff, but windows device manager has the information like the utility does.
Check your device manager and match it against wat cpu-z says, it should give you the basic info you need to know whats inside of your case. :)

He also wanted know what kind of parts he had.
I don't think that pulling only a psu model number sticker only would tell him everything about his pc.

It really makes no difference, as the gpu he has is a 6550D, i.e. an onboard/die APU. Meaning it's reletively new.. I dare you to find a newish motherboard without a pci-e slot.

If you stick with ATI you'll need atleast 400W psu.

If you switch to nvidia you can use a gt520 with a 300W psu, though it won't be much better in gaming.

No it's not mind, sure cpu-z provides you the information for his cpu, ram statistics and other stuff, but windows device manager has the information like the utility does.
Check your device manager and match it against wat cpu-z says, it should give you the basic info you need to know whats inside of your case. :)

He also wanted know what kind of parts he had.
I don't think that pulling only a psu model number sticker only would tell him everything about his pc.

devicemanager.png

See any motherboard tab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom