PSU works fine, but I can't jump start my watercooling loop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
I've just installed a loop on my computer and I'm trying to jumpstart it so that I can leak test. I have done this before, but it flat out is not working this time. I took a piece of an old keyring (the ones they give you at car rental places, so it's not the hard ones) and placed one end in the green part of the 24 pin connector, and one in a black connector (I tried about five of them). I have it plugged in, and I hit the power button, and... nothing. After trying this a bunch of times and looking to see if I'd knocked any cables loose (I hadn't) I decided to plug the connector back into the PSU just to see if my computer would start up; it did, and I yanked the cord immediately so that there wasn't enough time for the water to get in the loop.

Can anyone think of what is causing this? What am I supposed to do to test my loop for leaks if this won't work?

Thanks!

Have you tried a paper clip? The key ring might be just a little to big

Yep, I tracked one down. I read somewhere that it could be that there isn't enough load, so I took a fan off the motherboard and connected it directly to the power supply... nothing. I'm wondering if I should just go buy a cheap power supply and run it off of that for leak testing. It's just so weird that it works fine for everything except for jumping.

thats what i did when i was testing my water loop. just went to a local computer store and gave the guy $5 for a old powersupply... i also use it to test fans now... a spare powersupply is a good thing to have!

Some people can't laugh at themselves... I'm not one of those people.

I unplugged the wrong end of the 24-pin lol. I twisted my head around it and came up with nothing, then I woke up in the middle of the night Sunday morning and thought, "How the hell is it supposed to get power if it isn't connected to the power supply, you moron?"

Stupid mistake, I know... but everything is working just fine now.

lol thats too funny!

when i put the water block on my 5870, got it on made sure it was 100% on properly, put in the computer, plumbed it, got all the air bubbles out, went to turn the compute ron for the first time, a horrific screech came out of the computer, scared the crap out of me and i unplugged my computer thinking i just fried my $1800 computer... freak out, get on my server computer, and make a thread explaining in detail of what i did and what happened. someone simply said:

" plug the graphics card in "

*looks down at the computer * forgot to plug the pci express power cables into the card to power it up...

plugged it in, powerd up just fine, overclocked the snot out of it = profit

Some people can't laugh at themselves... I'm not one of those people.

I unplugged the wrong end of the 24-pin lol. I twisted my head around it and came up with nothing, then I woke up in the middle of the night Sunday morning and thought, "How the hell is it supposed to get power if it isn't connected to the power supply, you moron?"

Stupid mistake, I know... but everything is working just fine now.
I just had a good laugh in an otherwise bad situation for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom