A question about tracking

Joe C

Golden Master
can I ask about this?
To get directed measured traffic, demographic, global traffic frequency, business activity and affinity information, the participating web property must simply create an account and insert Quantcast's code onto each individual webpage of their site.
Quantcast Audience

The Quantcast Audience service defines custom targeted segments based on direct measurement of web properties allowing media buyers and sellers to find each other online. Marketers can reach consumers that have the highest likelihood of engaging with their product or brand. Publishers use Quantcast Audience to sell the specific audiences that advertisers want.
Any reasons?

how are you trying to use quantcast services?

im guessing the reason is because quantcast requires authentication to use their service. this enables them to hold the account holder responsible for how they use their services. They want to prevent malicious activity on their site. when they suspect malicious activity, they'll review info about that particular account and decide whether or not to ban it.

it can be used as a troubleshooting measure too. if someone is experiencing problems using their service, they can track the details for that particular account.

Can you give me any additional info, Joe? Is this on a particular thread or page?

I installed the same and see what you mean. From what I can gather Quantcast/Quantserve is being used to measure TF's audience. It may also be used in advertising (that registered members do not see).

TF was not aware that they use ad tracking cookies?
There's nothing wrong with cookies, they are a necessity but I do not understand why this place would use these types of cookies, unless there is some type of pay-per-click thing?

I think the definition of "ad tracking cookies" does not apply here.

I did some more research on Quantcast. It is used to generate metrics about site visitors; I was wrong before. Odds are it is being used so that the owner can see what kind of traffic is coming to the site. Quantcast is not malicious as it serves similar purposes as Google Analytics It can be used for advertising, but unless something has changed we use Google's ads here for non-members.

I am sure Andy or Janet will pass through and offer more info when they see this.

I think the definition of "ad tracking cookies" does not apply here.

I did some more research on Quantcast. It is used to generate metrics about site visitors; I was wrong before. Odds are it is being used so that the owner can see what kind of traffic is coming to the site. Quantcast is not malicious as it serves similar purposes as Google Analytics It can be used for advertising, but unless something has changed we use Google's ads here for non-members.

I am sure Andy or Janet will pass through and offer more info when they see this.

Your assumption is correct. Quantcast can be used lots of ways including making assessments about what pages of the board are getting the most (or least) traffic and where is comes from. This is useful in all sorts of ways and helpful when considering future needs.

why would it need to be a tracking cookie?
although I'm not well versed on how cookies work, basically plain ol' regular cookies keep tabs to what users do and where they go from one forum to the next on this site. An ad tracking cookie goes beyond the TF forums no? (hence the term "tracking")

Back
Top Bottom