Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Build New I5 2500k

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronik

Beta member
Whats up all, im new and looking for some input on what to do with my current PC.

At work right now so I dont have specifics will get everything later
Current processor:
believe its a AMD64 2.2ghz?
was a ghetto prebuilt back in about 2006, yeah it still runs. like crap but still runs
can run WoW on low/moderate settings at about 10fps on average

Looking at upgrading or building new for only Gaming WoW/D3(if they ever decide to release it)
multitasking with vent/skype, also occasional media player or youtube, and possibly fraps

Was looking at the i5 2500k cpu as the main priority.
Is there anyway to upgrade a dino AMD cheaper than just building a new budget i5 2500k with the same or better performance/reliability?
Only want to spend around $500

Any help appreciated, thanks

EDIT:
from what ive been able to find, it looks like the I5 2500k outperforms everything in its price range?

whether or not if an upgrade is viable depends on many other factors than just your CPU.
for example, you can't just take out your old processor and toss a new i5 2500k CPU in it. It won't be compatible, and it simply won't fit.

with that being said, you can find out a lot about your computer by running this program here. don't worry, it is virus free. I promise :whistle:

you may also want to open the side panel of your computer and check out the wattage of your power supply unit. there should be a sticker that looks like this. if you overload the power supply with new upgrades, it could start on fire or explode.

if you do decide to build a new computer, you may want to stretch your budget a bit. considering a new copy of windows alone is about $100 dollars.

Heres my PCs specs.. AMD Dino
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
Venice 90nm Technology
Motherboard
ASUSTek Computer INC. NAGAMI2 (Socket 939)
Graphics
64MB GeForce 6150 LE (HP)
Power Supply Output
300W

Heres the PC I got from work for $10 a few months back... Dino Intel
CPU
Intel Pentium 4 630
Prescott 90nm Technology
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0FH884 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Power Supply Output
280W

Im guessing either way im looking at building a new PC to even be subpar?

Any suggestions for a cheap build for WoW/D3/Video and music multitasking/etc with potential future upgrading?

does anyone have a cheap upgrade recommendation?
ill wait until a later time to build a top end machine
i figure if im able to run WoW now and can still run vent/youtube/etc in the background on a single core I can get by with something minor

dont want the smallest upgrade(s) but dont want to build one right now as im building the engine in my car at the moment
as stated before it will be strictly for WoW/D3(probably require a dual core)/music

Of the two you listed the AMD has more power. The problem is that you will need DDR RAM for it. Neither CPU is a dual core; both are singles.

If you have the RAM that came with either one, go for it. The AMD will be able to play older games on the onboard 6150, and should be able to slough through WoW on lower settings. The Intel would have a much harder time and may even be unable to handle WoW much.

What other parts do you have on hand?

i have both setup with 2 and 3gb ram, not much but it works

havent played around with the intel too much but it can play WoW on low settings
the AMD is doing WoW on low but "better" settings than the Intel

im looking at getting some sort of quad core (prob AMD) that should at least be able to do WoW and D3 smoothly
depending on that I may or may not get a standalone graphics card

pref around $300-400. just something to get me better gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom