new build advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzyboy10

Baseband Member
Hi guys.

I am attempting to build my 2nd pc as my current one is slowly lacking behind.Current specs are:

AMD Phenom II x2 555 BE
HD Radeon 5570 gfx
500W OCZ Stealth Xstreme PSU
2 x 2GB Corsair PC10800 RAM
1 x 2GB Geil RAM
ASUS M4A77T mobo.

As i am wanting to play mid to high end games on this too and dont want to go OTT on price, as £400 is my limit for now and this is what i have come up with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:

XFX HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
Asus M5A78L-M LX AMD Socket AM3+ onboard VGA 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V unbuffered
Coolermaster CM690 II Lite with Coolermaster GX 650W PSU
AMD FX-4 4100 Black Edition 4 Core 3.6Ghz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache.

TIA

Honestly I would not do most of the upgrades you're looking at, just not worth it.

My suggestion:

1) Try unlocking more cores on your CPU if you need them, there should be an option in BIOS.
-If you cannot run stable with the 2 extra cores unlocked get a 960T CPU, will run on your current MB.
-It may require a little more voltage to get it stable with the extra cores running.

2) Use the $ you would have spent on the CPU/MB/RAM/Case and put it toward a better GPU (and PSU if necessary)
-If you have to buy a 960T, obviously deduct that cost.

Thanks for your response.I did consider trying to unlock other core but not too competent in advanced methods like that.I wasnt planning on keeping the old system as have a buyer for it so was wanting new anyways.

well i decided to go ahead with the build anyway and finished it this morning. unfortunately i couldnt get the cpu so i am having to use the phenom i stated previously (as in the 555).

i will be looking at the 960T over the fx 4 4100 but now need to figure a decent cooler for it.

also, the case i bought can hold 10 fans and is equipped with a front 140mm blue LED fan and a rear 120 mm fan. i would like to add a couple more and looked at the coolermaster 120mm sickleflow blue led fan to match the front or is that a bad idea.

any thoughts appreciated

TIA

More fans aren't a bad idea, as long as you're fine with the noise.
I have 4 sickleflows (non-LED) in my case and they work just fine.

ok thanks. how about a cpu cooler. was looking at either a gelid tranquillo or a cooler master hyper 212 evo

TIA

I really wouldn't worry about an aftermarket cooler, the stock one is fine for stock speeds.
And if you aren't comfortable unlocking cores, I don't expect you to be overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom