GPU for HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So I've finally rearranged all of my hardware and set up a system that will become my HTPC.
Question is, whats the cheapest GPU that will give a nice clear picture on say a 42" 1080p screen?

I was looking at the GeForce 210 and HD 5450, 1GB 64-bit DDR3.
Mainly because they are pretty cheap (~$35), and have full sized HDMI plugs.

I think I am using a 210 in my HTPC. I am running a 47" 1080p TV. My mother-in-law does some casual gaming on it.

Trotter - Glad to know it will work, if that is what you're running.

Nukem - I'll keep the GTS 450 in mind, looking for lowest possible price though, so if I can do it for $20 less that'd be a win.
I may also replace the PSU to the stock one, which doesn't have a 6-pin connector on it.

Also, this struck me last night as I was going to bed.
What is the primary hardware focus for an HTPC, storage?
I ask because I have an E2140 and E8400. The 8400 is currently in the HTPC, but may slap in the 2140 if there is no real difference.

No overclocking, everything is going onto a Dell MB since I love the case, and it is completely silent.
For just doing media playback with VLC or GOM (or streaming off the net) does CPU speed really matter?

But it does raise the question of if I can run a fanless GPU, since the air-flow is... terrible really.

I have found that VLC is more compatible for most formats. I've had to update codex's for GOM. but I have not had an issue with any lag on a socket 775 (Q8200) I would just make sure you have 2/4GB ram

It doesn't make sense to run a fanless GPU if your going to be using it in a case with poor circulation. But you could add a fan to it, or right underneath it to blow directly on it.

No overclocking, everything is going onto a Dell MB since I love the case, and it is completely silent.
For just doing media playback with VLC or GOM (or streaming off the net) does CPU speed really matter?

But it does raise the question of if I can run a fanless GPU, since the air-flow is... terrible really.

Yeah, it is this one:
Newegg.com - ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP) GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Ready Video Card

I have a single 80mm fan in the back of the case, running a 3500+ single core. No heat issues at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom