Amd fx chips vs phenom ii build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2adre

In Runtime
My dilemma simply is I am looking at the amd fx 4100 and a couple of the phenom ii chips for a gaming build. Which one should I choose? You guys never steered me wrong. I will be using it video editing and gaming. Thanks in advance

Fri a guy wants me to buy his fx 6100 3.4ghz processor for 100.00 is that an okay processor? Also is am3 the same am3+ motherboard?

I'd say a $100 is a good price for that chip.
What you need to be aware of, is that FX chips require AM3+ boards and not all AM3+ will support an FX chip. Some will require a bios flash and if it does then you'll need an athlon or a phenom chip to flash the bios. Check the web site of the motherboard to see if it will run an FX chip, I do not know of anybody that can guarantee the you will get an updated bios on a new board but most boards I've seen already do

Also too, should I consider an and phenom ii x6 chip over this fx 6100? I know this is annoying, just want to make the right decision

I've only heard of a couple instances when a AM3+ board did not have an updated bios to run an FX chip. I posted that just to make you aware that the possibility exists, but the odds go down with time as more updated boards are brought into the market
The phenom II x6 is a better performance chip over the 6100 with windows 7, I do think they will run hotter than the 6100 so an upgraded heatsink should be considered but not a requirement at stock speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom