help with k7s5a pro and fat22 formatting of hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbara

Beta member
hi everyone,
i need help! yesterday i went and bought a k7s5a pro mother board. day before that i bought a new cpu duron 1.3.
my hard drive is a 30g western digital.
now for the rest f the story!!!!

bout 2 weeks ago my computer started acting weird when i would turn it on. it would take 5 minutes or better to come on. so weekend afore last i opened the case thinking maybe it was too much dust collected and i cleaned it out. put it all back together and turned it on,,,didnt fix that problem and created another one. it started rebooting itself at random. the time between boots was diffferent. after talking with someone about it i was told it was my mother board and not believing it could be i opened it back up took everything lose again and must have put the hat riser on backwards as i got a little smoke from it.
next day i took mother board n cpu to frys to have ut checked ,,man said i fried cpu.

present,,,installed new mother board, new chip, ven bought a new memory chip sram and another internal fan to add to my case foir the new faster chip.
hooked up my hard drive to mother board and plugged up everything else. for what ever reason when trying to install hard drive it would not recognize itsself. reformattined and repartitioned hard drive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it went from a 30g fat32 to a unknown fat22 after doing this. now it wont recognize anything. did some research that said plug hard drive into secondary ide port,,,, when we do that it allows us to reformat properly and load windows however if we take that hard drive and put it back in primary ide port it reverts back to unknown with fat22.
anyone got any suggestions?
thanks barbara

I had a similar problem, and after much headache - the problem was with the ide ribbon cable. Things seemed to work, only to have various problems during trying to get things working further along during setup. You can't use the newer higher rated ide ribbon cables for older drives...I think I was trying to use a 100 or 133 when I should have been using a 33/66. This might be your problem?

I'm not even positive about the ide ribbon cable incompatibility..this happened to me a while ago and I don't remember exactly, it may have been that I just had a bad ide ribbon cable. But I do think you will run into problems using 133 or 100 rated cables with older drives.

If someone on the Forum knows for sure, please post...

oh yah, I think there is only fat32 and fat, never heard of fat22... but hey, maybe I just never heard of it before

Looks like Microbell is makin' his rounds! Sorta reminds me of an on duty MD checkin' charts at the beginning of the shift.

Hey Microbell, thanks for the IDE ribbon cable low-down.

why dont you just keep the HD in the secondary port, and i read on some internet site that it makes it more eficcient if you disable the port thats not being used, but since its the primary thats not being used i dont know what might happen if you do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom