Advice one what to upgrade next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacherrabit

Beta member
Hey guys, you probly get similar questions a lot, but I'm just not sure what to upgrade next. I was thinking graphics cards as they have given me trouble in the passed, but my CPU and RAM could also use an upgrade. So if you had to choose one thing on my current build to upgrade next, what would it be?

I was just going to attach the txt file of my dxdiag, but I am not allowed to attach files? I assume its because im a brand spankin new member, i understand. Here is basically my current build.

Mobo - PC Wizard says EVGA 132-BL-E758. But I know its an EVGA X58 classified of some sort. Don't remember the exact model. (I know it has at least 1 16x PCIe, but i think it may have 2 16x 1 8x)
Processor - Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 (I have 2 of these cards, but each card has 2 GPU's, and I honestly did not even see any improvement in any of the games I run if I did quad SLI.) w/ 1756? i think of video memory.
RAM - 6144MB (3 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
HDD - WD 300 GB 10000rpm drive
PSU - Corsair 850w

I know kind of a messy post, but I'll ask the question again. Basically I am asking where do you think I would bottleneck at first? What would you upgrade first out of that? Thanks in advance.

Download CPU-Z to figure out your exact motherboard model.

Get a 560Ti or similar for you graphic card.

Is that 6Gb of RAM in triple channel?

Is that a TX850?

What's your budget?

i would cram as much graphics horse power in that thing as you can afford... im working on a new build and it is very similar to your build, im about to buy 2 6970s.

I would get an SSD, then a graphics card. Your system isn't too bad, and the SSD would grant you a huge performance boost.

Same here. An SSD will give you a very nice pickup. A 60GB drive will hold your OS and main programs (Office, a few games), and you can use your current drive for other programs and data.

It would also depend on what you use the system for mostly? Gaming, Video encoding, Programing, etc...

If you don't game, (that much) then I agree with SSD; If you game, I would sell BOTH 295's and get a better SINGLE card.
a 10K drive is still respectable, and if your like me, I like to play different games all the time. So I have a lot of games installed.

To me the higher GB SSD (120 or better) drives are still WAY to expensive for me to justify the buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom