Battery charging problem/issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I let the 20% battery drain down to 14% yesterday then plugged it back in where it sat all night on the AC adapter/charger and after turning it on in the morning, it read 14%(charging).

my laptop is doing the same thing. I have a Dell M17X R2. I contacted Dell and they want me to send it in for a mobo replacement. It seems that it's not just the power jack. Mine has something to do with the circuit itself that recognizes the charger being plugged in.

Nukem,

Did you acutally send in your laptop for a motherboard replacement? Did they say that was the only fix and a computer technition at a shop could not fix it?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. There is something you can try.

Shut down the laptop; remove the ac plug and then remove the battery.

Hold the power button for at 20-25 seconds; Then reinstall the battery, plug the AC charger back in, then power it up and give it a go.

From what Dell has told me (sometimes) the bios can get stuck into not "seeing" the battery enough to recognize that it needs to be charged, and when you hold the power button it's like resetting the CMOS on a desktop.

As for mine. I don't go to a computer shop. I usually know more than they do. and since I am still under warranty, I'm going to let Dell replace it for free. :D

IF by some chance that fixes it, please make sure you update your bios to the latest one for your laptop.

Nukem,

I tried your trick that you spoke of last and it did not seem to do anything. When I open the power meter, it states that I am on ac power and my remaining battery power is at 9% and is charging. Like before, it states it is charging but it really isn't. Thanks for the tip anyways.

have you updated the bios as well?

If you have, then all I can say is contact the company and start working the issue with them. Maybe they have a fix that we don't know about?

My laptop has the latest bios version for it already. I guess I will have to contact dell to see if they can help. Thanks for all you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom