Strange hardware probem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudolf

Baseband Member
Hi, everyone.

I came here on the forum to ask about a recent problem of my computer. I can't figure it out what is the problem, and before I go to any service company I would like to know myself.

I did many tries to see actually which part of the computer is creating the problems, but until now I have only guesses.
So, I'll try to describe the simptoms as clearly as I can.

Everything happened approx a week ago, form one moment to another. In the morning I shut down the comp, and in the afternoon didn't wanted to start. Actually, the computer starts, but when the Windows is loading at a certain point it freezes (most of the time when it should load the login screen). Absolutely everything stops to work, the keyboard, the mouse, even the power and reset buttons on the box. The only solution is to cut the power supply. And to restart.
I noticed that after some tries the Windows manages to load succesfully, and from that moment everything is ok. I can use the computer for hours. When I turn off, and restart rigth after everything is OK. If I leave some hours off, it blocks again at the first attempts. When I turn on the first time it blocks regardelss of the mode in which I try to start the Windows (normal, safe, command prompt mode). It blocks all the time.

So, it seemes that there's something that needs to warm up to be able to start. And this is my problem: I don't know what. SO I don't know what part should I buy new.

I reinstalled the Windows too, now I have a clean install, no virus or other disturbing things. I did some software test for the hardware (tho I don't know how reliable was) to see if it is the motherboard. But evertyhing works fine.

It seems that it's hardware problem. I repeat that until just one week I had no problems whatsoever with the computer, for more then one year. And I used it for more then 7 hours EVERY day.

If someone encountered this problem already, or just knows exactly which component can cause this, I would be thankful for the information.

My computer is a Pentium III 600 MHz, 128 RAM, and 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee 16 MB video card,
VIA Apollo Pro/133/133A PCI Chipset + VT82C686B motherboard

Rudolf

hmm, I kind of had a situation like yours.. I thought I had a bad hard drive because of the clicking sound. My computer would boot up and stop at the bios lol, then after 15 minutes of restarting, it would finally boot all the way into windows. Sometimes my computer would restart randomly, but like yours, it seemed to need a warm up before it would work. Well After testing both my hard drives and taking everything else into consideration, I decide it's the mobo. So I send it in and get it back, install everything and start it up.. Ohh no!! The same problem! It wasn't the motherboard. So then i test the psu and come to find that it was the power supply the whole time (Antec 550w truepower). So I got another crap psu in my system right now, no money so.. Anyways so I suggest maybe taking a look at your power suppply. When you turn on your computer, get into your bios and look at the rails and post them up here, mine as well post your temps and system specs also please.

i had a similar problem like this. i took out some components like the vid card and ram and cleaned them. i know it doesn't sound very assuring, but hey, it could work.

i know it doesn't sound very assuring, but hey, it could work.
Well it's true, if a lot of dust has collected in your case you'll notice slowing in performance

Hi

Thanks for your answers.

My first guess was the video card, and then the motherboard itself. I haven't thougth about the power supply at all. I thougth that if it would have some problems the comp wouldn't start at all.
I'm not sure what you Demalii mean with the 'rails' and 'temps'. I suppose it's the cpu and system temperature. Anyway I looked in the BIOS, both after some hour of working, and then when I started 'cold'.
Here's what says:

1. When it's 'warm'

Current CPU Temperature 33°C/91°F
Current System Temperature 0°C/32°F
Current CPUFAN1 Speed 5851 RPM

Vcore 1.69V
2.5V 2.51V
3.3V 3.35V
5V 5.02V
12V 12.36V

2. When it's 'cold'

Current CPU Temperature 24°C/75°F
Current System Temperature 0°C/32°F
Current CPUFAN1 Speed 6012 RPM

Vcore 1.75V
2.5V 2.53V
3.3V 3.35V
5V 5.07V
12V 12.42V

Note: After I left from the BIOS and the comp restarted I took a quick look again at the BIOS second time. The cpu was already at 30°C. And then the comp started normally (it took 2-3 minutes the bios-work). But the problem still persist, because if I just let it to load without 'spending' time before, it blocks always.
So, now my 'solution' is to enter the BIOS everytime, or pause the bootup process, and to just wait for 5 minutes or so. Then I continue normally. But this it's not funny at all. :(

Here's the specs:
CPUPentium III-E(B) Stepping:xB0 600 MHz
Mobo: Soltek VIA Apollo Pro/133/133A PCI Chipset + VT82C686B
Memory: 128 MB
Supports: Parity: no, ECC: no
Voltage type: LVTTL (not 5V tolerant)
Timing: Cycle=7.31ns (CAS Latency 3.0)
Video Card: Creative Labs 3DFX Banshee 3D 16 MB

Don't know if it helps.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hear from you.
In the meantime the next step will be to do what derfist said. It's like 8 months that I haven't cleaned my comp. So Iclean it good, the power supply unit too.
I'll get back to you with the results. :confused:

Rudolf

I would recommend trying a different PS. I always had that problem...sometimes even after touching my desk and shaking hte tower even a little bit it would restart. I took apart the PS and basically pushed in all the wires. AFTERWARDS, i learned that this could kill me. So don't do it...just swap out a different PS and see if you continue having troubles.

Hello, Starforsaken.

I don't see in what way could kill me the PS once that it's plugged out . I disassambeld and assambled some ps in my life and never saw anything dangerous. But you made me to think, tho.

And then, I don't try to take apart the PS, just open the back and blow out the dust from it.
We'll, see.

Thansk for the info.

Rudolf

Well, I cleaned the comp, but without success
Everything is the same as before :-(

Rudolf

sorry to hear that dude. but mine didn't work immediately. i had to restart a few times n had d prob 4 a lil while. i don't know about yours, but gd luck anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom