Some Fun with My Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ieatrazorz

Baseband Member
Now that I have a decent desktop I'm gonna have some fun with my quirky little Gateway Laptop.

Here are my intentions:

1: Fix the DVD/CD drive. It doesn't work anymore. Doesn't even spool up now. It's just... there :umm:

2: So after I fix the disc drive, this little pig will get reformatted.

3: Completely disassemble and clean it up real nice.

But where does the fun come in? I want to something with this thing, some I haven't done with a PC before.

4: I want to paint it, make it stand out.

5: See if I can overclock it. I've never overclocked anything, so why not see if I can turn my pig into a boar.

There has to be more I can do to this thing.:yum: Something you don't normally see, but anyhow, I'm gonna log that stuff here.

Let the games begin!

You can't overclock laptops. They almost always have a compromised BIOS. Not too many options as a desktop.

Painting is doable. Just be sure to cover any vents.

Painting would be neat, I'm sure you could do something while the case is off for cleaning. You should put a fan system in where the optical drive would go and just run a usb optical drive when you need, and then try and overclock with an in windows program as sketchy as that is, it would be fun!

=) I got the drive working. I was scratching my head for months over it. I don't know that the drive is the best shape (sounds like an old abused truck), but it reads and plays discs again. A setting in the bios was turned on to disable 32bit data transfers. I don't know how that happened, but it did. So now this little piggy is reformatted and updated.

Next up is cleaning. I'll take some pics for that process.

Oh! Specs:

Gateway M-Series Model:W650I
Intel Core2 Duo T5750 2.00ghz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600
4gb Memory
250gb Hardrive

Far as paint, not sure what the design is gonna be. I'm thinking, black with red highlights and red boar on the front of it =P

haha good luck with that. painting is not easy though, did it and messed up :(

Thank you, what method did you use to try an paint yours? I know I'm gonna sand it down and spray every thing I can then use water based acrylics on the rest, the kind I used when I was into war hammer...

I actually have it apart now and have been periodically snapping pics. I always wondered why I couldn't get the bluetooth to work, and now I know, lack of a cable... stupid Gateway, and to think I thought so highly of them at one point. After pulling this thing apart I'm surprised the CPU still works, it looks like it was on it's way to frying...

I'll update with the pics later.

I actually have it apart now and have been periodically snapping pics. I always wondered why I couldn't get the bluetooth to work, and now I know, lack of a cable... stupid Gateway, and to think I thought so highly of them at one point. After pulling this thing apart I'm surprised the CPU still works, it looks like it was on it's way to frying...

This before or after HP took over Gateway? :p

Hp took over Gateway? I'm appalled :crazy:. That depends though. I got the laptop a few years ago, I don't know, maybe 3 1/2 to 4 years ago.

That would also explain why I couldn't log into their site to pull up everything for it. I did have the computer registered on there. :dead:

And now some pics:The Laptop pictures by iEatRazorz - Photobucket

Tomorrow while I'm blowing the dirt off and painting I'll snap some shots of the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom