Refurbished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yadgadge

Baseband Member
Hello all, first time poster here. I was looking for a place to find the answer to my question, and this looked like a good place.

Anyway, here's my question. I am looking into buying a New Graphics Card (since I'm using a Geforce 2 MX 32mb) And the card I was looking at is a BFG Geforce FX 5700 Ultra. I found one for $125 but it is Refurbished, it comes with full retail contents in a white box, and a 90 day warrenty (unlike the lifetime warrenty you get when buying new BFG products). So what I am wondering is, are refurbished Graphics cards any good? Or should I try to stay away from them? And if they arn't any good, what should I look at getting for around the same price?

As far as my research has gone I can't find a card with better performance for that price, so it is very tempting, but I don't want to buy a card that is going to be defective or start having problems after that 90 days is up. Buying any 5700 Ultra or simular card new will run up around $180 and I really don't want to spend much more than $120 - $125

Thanks for your imput :)

i think you should be fine i had luck with a few refurbished products in the past, but if it breaks do they send a whole new unused card? or what does the warranty entail? if not ill sell you my 5200U for 30 bucks plus shipping :D(just kidding). may just want to go for a safe bet.

Thanks for the reply, still consitering my options, but I guess I better make a choice before they stop selling them lol.

Yadgadge said:
Hello all, first time poster here. I was looking for a place to find the answer to my question, and this looked like a good place.
TF IS!!!!

Video cards have a very low failure rate beyond DOA. Like i think i have come across 3 video cards that were faulty after the point of purchase and they were not a DOA fault. This is in the last 8 years of working in computer.

You should be fine.

It's not like a hard drive, motherboard or optical drive.
Please not that I will NEVER BUY / SELL a second hand PSU. I do referbished PCs at my work, and I always replace the PSU.

I kind of like the 9600 XT, and those arn't Refurbished. Just out of curiousity, which would you buy? Sapphire or one made by ATI themselfs?

Of the two you linked would you go with the XT or Pro? from what I've seen XT is better performance wise.

xt is better performance, but i prefer non ATI cards, unless you go for one of their all in wonder(and thats only if you want TV tuner)... so id say god sapphire

I would suggest a Radeon 9600 Pro or XT against the Geforce 5700, they are better cards
No it really isnt. I have my machine with specs below, 256mb PC2700 ram compared to this guys AMD64 socket 939 3500+ CPU, 1gb high performance XMS Ram in DC, with the 9600XT 256mb and he got maybe 5FPS better than me in doom3 which I'd account more to his CPU and RAM to anything else....

I've tried the FX 5700 and the 9600XT back to back and they are damn near identicle in performance

BTW: I'd say wait until the 6600GT is released for $150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom