New laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will bringing an i7 cause any side effects? Or if I can I should buy it?
And I guess you mean that your recommend turning off turbo boost?

i7 only gives you hyperthreading. That's it. It is almost the same speed as i5. All you need hyperthreading is CAD-like programs.

IIRC, turbo boost throttles the GPU/CPU to run at higher speeds when needed. I always practice to leave it at a constant speed. overall cooler temperatures.

Well i7 is a quad core while i5 is dual core, won't that be more future proof? And will i7 drain much more battery than i5 or not a noticeable battery life difference?
As for turbo boost, do you have it enabled or disabled?

This is a false statement. I can run Skyrim, BF3 and every other game I've thrown at it on High/Very High settings, and fold on my G74 without it getting uncomfortable. It gets warm, sure, but not very noticeably on any part of the laptop.

Almost any laptop? :angel:

@MoM : So you really mean that whichever laptop I get, it will 99% overheat and turn off while gaming?

So if I buy a laptop capable of running heavy games at high settings, I still wouldn't be able to play it on high settings without overheating? Is there a single fix to that?

@tj_extreme : Even with turbo boost turned on?

Never turned it off. :devil:

Almost any laptop? :angel:

Good MoM.:grin:

@MoM : So you really mean that whichever laptop I get, it will 99% overheat and turn off while gaming?

If you buy a cheap, economy laptop, this will happen very frequently. BUT, if you buy a good (Asus, MSI, etc.) gaming/performance laptop, this won't be much of a problem.

Not necessarily. Just don't expect to play at high settings. Medium at best, and you should be fine.

If he's on HD 3000? Low, at best for modern games. Like I said, my G74 (560m 3gb) can play BF3 on high and it doesn't heat up much at all.

So if I buy a laptop capable of running heavy games at high settings, I still wouldn't be able to play it on high settings without overheating? Is there a single fix to that?

Not if you buy a gaming laptop with a good cooling design, such as the Asus G74 series (the gaming laptop I use). Here's the cooling design it has:

View attachment 5162

It has two fans to draw in air around the CPu and GPU individually.

View attachment 5163

And these big ass "stealth fighter" vents in the back, and man does this thing push out air.. But not hot air.

Attachments

• f2213m.jpg
    f2213m.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 31
  • g74Vents.jpg
    g74Vents.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 33
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom