First build, long time coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
=) Wow, four graphics cards. That's some crazy power there.

I'm gonna run two for now. That's too much for me to justify spending, lol. I'm having trouble finding just one of the card I'm after. The sites that do have it pull this stunt; Regular price: $1074, Sale price: $724. In all reality it's a $600 card. Hopefully the people buying from these places know the actual price and are merely desperate.

A quick update on this endeavor:

All the parts came into today, except windows. I went out and got a copy. Took my time reading the manuals and putting it together, I am now sitting here updating drivers! Thank you for the help with choosing parts everyone =)

I'll post some pictures tomorrow after I'm done setting up the software and making sure everything is stable.

Well this is the final build:

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7 3930k
Corsair Hydro H80 (setup as an exshaust)
X2 XFX Double D 7970 (Couldn't locate the ASUS DirectCUIIT for a reasonable price)
Corsair Vengance 1600 16gb(4x4) (Installed for quad channel)
Asus DVD-RW
Intel SSD 120gb
WD 1.5TB HDD
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Win 7 Pro (I have alot of old games, going back to DOS, and wanted the extra backwards compatiability.)

So I took my time getting everything together. Reading everything, from the pin configurations on plugs to the hardware diagrams. I have this board memorized lol.

Two things slowed me down:
1. I didnt properly power the two graphics cards. So I wasn't getting a display signal and thought I wasn't posting.
2. I was getting the A2(IDE Detect) message on the motherboard status led.

This held me up for about an hour. After I solved the display issue, and posted to the splash screen, I was able to figure out the A2 problem. It was smooth sailing from there. When I woke up I made all my restore discs and back up images after getting all my updates and needed software.

So without further adue, I present to you my first build:

Custom PC Build pictures by iEatRazorz - Photobucket

Some notes on the software and temp end:

I've had three lock ups. Two while running Kasperksy in tandem with another program open, and while getting LA Noire setup due to Windows shaking it's figure at me over security. I've run Fallout NV without problems, and LA Noire. I decided to log the temps while running LA Noire(Full Graphics) and the Cpu never top 45. The motherboard stood firm at 39, and I just realized the log didn't include my GPU. Ill check them on my next game run.

im going to be honest with you, i threw up in my mouth a little when i saw the wire manament. temps will be 5 degrese cooler if you clean those wires up.

other than that, congrats on your new build! im sure it can run anything you thow at it for a long, long time.

Lol, honesty is good. I like having an honest opinion on the things I do. I knew it wasn't the best when I closed the case. I'm gonna dive back in there and see what I can do, having a clear head and not being somewhat overwhelmed will help. =)

I also took the the virus scanner off and put my copy of Norton360 on there. Curious to see if it will lockup me up under the same conditions. Don't think it will though, doesn't slow my laptop down and that's a garbage machine.

take a look at this video, i think itll help you a lot with the wire managment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhxmzQR6xA

and as far as a virus thing. ive never had a anti virus program. never had any issues. i just run " superantipyware" about once a month. thats just a program to get rid of what you might have gotten, doesnt keep you from getting anything.

Thanks for that video. I realized two things watching that. I over complicated my wiring, and used way more zip ties then needed :witless:

I was looking at front bay fan controllers today. I was iffy about getting one, but considering I want to add that second top fan (and now for wiring simplicity I think... would be four case fans total), do you think it would be worth my while? That should make managing and monitoring my case fans easier, right? If so, do you have any recommendations?

Looks really good, no doubt you wont need to upgrade for a long time :) as sean said the wires are a bit messy but i didnt but not so bad i nearly threw up :p.

The dog looks pretty cool, did it come free with windows or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom