Socket 754 or Socket 939 - which is beter for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG I didn't realise that, your avatars look sorta similar if you just glance at it for less than a second

lol, a gold lookin leaf and a upside down almost communist/pentagram type avatar look almost the same? :)

socket 939s are also in 90 nm now so better overclocking
I believe the MSI Neo2-Platinum this applies for sure, but for the moment for your motherboard to be able to recognize that 90nm technology it requires a BIOS Flash....not sure how many boards this pretains to though.

socket 754 if im not mistaken had a larger cache on chip and performed better on photo/video editing apps... it also managed to compress and decompress more quickyl from what ive seen... otherwise go 939.

Thanks for the info on this. It's helped out in chosing was I has doing to propose for a customer this afternoon.

I just wish they hurry up and bring in some cheap K8 Socket 939 boards.

The server is going to be Socket 939, but work station are going to be Socket 754.

Not A-Bit please.
The less I have to deal with Altec Computer (A-Bit MoBo Disty) to get my stuff, the better i feel about it.

(Harper waves at all the ALTEC COMPUTER account mangers that are currently reading this thread. "2003 IT&T Small Distributor of the Year".... YEAH RIGHT!!!)

Then get the Asus A8V Deluxe. I can't believe as tech savvy as you are, Harper, that you would be asking about the difference between Socket 754 and Socket 939. :confused: Anyway, socket 939 is definately the way of the future, although socket 754 still isn't totally outdated.

socket 940 is a lot more expensive, you can only get Opteron's or FX's in socket 940, the motherboards cost a lot, and you have to get ECC RAM
it's pretty much purely for servers

beedubaya said:
I can't believe as tech savvy as you are, Harper, that you would be asking about the difference between Socket 754 and Socket 939.
My head's been stuck in Intels for the last 12 months thanks to work, and the now extince G.I.D. Membership.
Leonidas said:
why not go 940 for servers? or am i misunderstanding your intended use?
MONEY.
(Don't look at me. It's not my wallet we are talking about here)

i was just suggesting it as his server, and perhaps use 939 for your workstation, being able to get dual opterons with 64bit compatibility later will make your server last for a very long time... im just talking tho, what do i know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom