New laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorpian

In Runtime
Hello. Wassup everyone? Long time no see.
Long story short, I wanna buy a new laptop. It'll be used for internet surfing, gaming, viewing media files ( movies etc ) and other normal uses. I don't have a price range as the laptop prices are pretty much different here, so I'll ask you to tell me suggestions for laptops and I'll check them on Egyptian laptop websites and find out their price in Egyptian pound.
I came across this laptop Dell inspiron n5110, it has 3 versions : i3, i5 and i7. I know both i3 and i5 are dual core ( right? :p ) and i7 is quad core. i3 won't be good enough for gaming as far as I know, but will there be a great difference between i5 and i7 worth paying the difference?
Thanks and any help is appreciated.

Wait, who are you? :p

What games are you trying to play? Just don't expect BF3 to be on high settings.\

The only difference between i5 and i7 is hyperthreading, which really doesn't help you in the real world.

So, I'd go with an i3 or i5. I have an i3, and can play SC2 and MC just fine. On medium settings, but still playable.

Haha hey there MindOverMaster, how you been?
Well IDK yet what games I'm gonna didn't really get into heavy gaming stuff before, my PC gfx is radeon x1550, too weak to do anything good at better than low if at all.
Well what about the 2 extra cores in i7? Won't a quad be better than a dual?
I heard this laptop got overheating issues, so if you can please make another suggestions if you can and I'll consider them all.
Thanks mate.

Very few games use up all 4 cores. And if there were a game that did, you wouldn't be able to play them, anyway. Due to overheating, plus mobile graphic cards aren't used for intense gaming, mostly.

Every laptop has heating problems. It is the nature of a laptop. You don't have very much space in there. So heat can't be dissipated as quickly.

I can recommend this: AS5750-6589 | Product Model

I just got one recently. While just browsing the net, I notice it being really cool. Something I didn't get with my ASUS laptop.

That laptop ain't bad but HD intel graphics? I wanted something powerful to be somewhat ready for future.
As for overheating issue, well I read that you need to limit CPU power to 60% ( and somewhere else 80% ) to prevent overheating. I wouldn't buy a powerful CPU to limit its power.
Thanks for help, I think I might go with another lappy with a good GPU. I have my eyes on : Acer Aspire 5472g atm.
Thanks again

The HD3000 graphics are better than the older Intel HD models. Your video card is built into the CPU, not your motherboard. You get more performance, in this way.

But, Acer all around, has nice systems.

Thanks man. I know the new HD graphics built into CPU are better, but still the GT 525M and GT 540M are far better than it.
So what do you think of that laptop? Is there something better than that I could get? In the same price range of course, but you can link me to any laptop and I'll check it in my currency.
Thanks again mate, you help me a lot.
Btw, just noticed your profile pic's penguin now has a beard ( it didn't use to, you're getting old :p )
EDIT : IDK, but is there such a laptop as Acer aspire 5472g? Or it's actually 5742g?

Well now I'm confused between dell inspire n5110, dell inspire n5010 ( the GT 525 M version ) And acer aspire 5742G.
Dell inspire n5110 is awesome but overheating things makes me a little scared, I'd want something that lasts for some good time.
Please supply me with your opinion, I'd want something good but at same time with best life span possible, and if it's something other than those, recommend it please :D
EDIT : Saw another one which I liked, doesn't seem bad. HP Probook 4530S core i5 ( with HD radeon 6490, not the other one with HD gfx only )

Well, I don't deal with Dells much. But if they complain about overheating, that is probably because they are pushing it too hard. But in any respect, it is good to have a laptop cooler, too. Just in case it does overheat, you have something to cool it.

I used my Acer quite a bit yesterday, and I never noticed it getting hot on my lap. So that has to count for something. I'll stress test it this weekend, see how it puts up with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom