New 960t in a asrock 970 extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks sweet man, but remember not to keep that 960T overclocked like that forever, you will shorten the life span on it, by running it too high on that speed.

You really think thats too high? they say safe voltage is 1.55v and i'm at 1.4875v before vdroop.

You really think thats too high? they say safe voltage is 1.55v and i'm at 1.4875v before vdroop.

Honestly, to me it seems so, most amd cpu's can't endure such high temps like that, from personal experience and seeing it in other peoples computers first hand.
If you want to though, let it OC to 4.0Ghz when you need it to, and just let the default speed be at 3.2ghz or 3.4ghz.
I think the utiility I'm refering to is -AMD Cool & Quiet-, or maybe something else, but that would work best for you.

Mike I've been looking for a solid answer to this for a while, whats the max temp for Phenoms?
Think I read 63c somewhere, but AMD doesn't post it on spec sheets, at least that I could find.

spiko if you're running it that hot 24/7 I'm with Mike, too close to what may be max temp (Mike's reply inc.)
I'd say leave it as is and run your comp per usual, gaming/browsing/etc, then check the max you get after a day of that.
Normal computer use shouldn't get you up that high, unless you regularly hit and run your CPU @ 100%.

No offense to Mike, but thinking like that is complete nonsense. The amount it shortens life spam goes into the period of where your CPU will be completely obsolete before it dies given if you have decent cooling, have no surges/browns, and the motherboard can handle the volts with minimal ripple. As long as your load on ALL cores isn't exceeding 70c you are good to go. I have ran my i5 750 around the 55-60 mark all its life and it is still going that way heading to the 4 year mark. My 955 ran 4.1ghz at 65c load all its life and it is still running at that speed in a different rig.

IIRC, AMD doesn't have vdroop like Intel does.

Mike I've been looking for a solid answer to this for a while, whats the max temp for Phenoms?
Think I read 63c somewhere, but AMD doesn't post it on spec sheets, at least that I could find.

spiko if you're running it that hot 24/7 I'm with Mike, too close to what may be max temp (Mike's reply inc.)
I'd say leave it as is and run your comp per usual, gaming/browsing/etc, then check the max you get after a day of that.
Normal computer use shouldn't get you up that high, unless you regularly hit and run your CPU @ 100%.

This is the most reliable website for AMD CPUs that I have found. Be sure to select your exact processor, as well as the same stepping.
AMD K10 processor families

No offense to Mike, but thinking like that is complete nonsense. The amount it shortens life spam goes into the period of where your CPU will be completely obsolete before it dies given if you have decent cooling, have no surges/browns, and the motherboard can handle the volts with minimal ripple. As long as your load on ALL cores isn't exceeding 70c you are good to go. I have ran my i5 750 around the 55-60 mark all its life and it is still going that way heading to the 4 year mark. My 955 ran 4.1ghz at 65c load all its life and it is still running at that speed in a different rig.

IIRC, AMD doesn't have vdroop like Intel does.

No, you may need to look at amd again, keeping it at a high OC will shorten the life span of it over time, doesn't matter if you have a low voltage.
Most cpu's these days have a life span between 5-7 years.
If you OC for too long you can say good bye to your cpu alot more quickly then you expected it.
I'm surprised you didn't kill your i5 alot more quicker than you had it.
You got away with murder on that one and you had some close calls for almost 2 years right ? ;)

Also roark the highest temp I hit on my 6 core and 4 cores was about 97c before the alarm went off and the system shut it down to prevent damage.
Like Ghost said you can manage pretty good 65c-70c, but anything pushing it pass that your asking for problems soon.

That 57C is max i will go while priming. Ive only seen as high as 50c while gaming, idles at 35c. Also, this is fresh AS5, maybe 30 hours on it, they say 100 for break in and you can expect up to 5c drop from first run after application.

Also, i think your view on stressing AMDs hard their whole life is wrong, I had a 4000+ brisbane before this maxed out at 3.1ghz for 3 years+ and ive had no issues with it at all.

No, you may need to look at amd again, keeping it at a high OC will shorten the life span of it over time, doesn't matter if you have a low voltage.
Most cpu's these days have a life span between 5-7 years.
If you OC for too long you can say good bye to your cpu alot more quickly then you expected it.
I'm surprised you didn't kill your i5 alot more quicker than you had it.
You got away with murder on that one and you had some close calls for almost 2 years right ? ;)

Also roark the highest temp I hit on my 6 core and 4 cores was about 97c before the alarm went off and the system shut it down to prevent damage.
Like Ghost said you can manage pretty good 65c-70c, but anything pushing it pass that your asking for problems soon.
Typical life span of any CPU is between 10 and 15 years or longer, OCing of which only slightly shortens the span. I have a S939 3000+ that has been at 2.8ghz (1ghz OC) since 2005 and a 3800+ X2 that has been at 2.7ghz since 2006, both of which have had 1.55v coursing through them. As you go down in nM the 24/7 maximum safe OC voltage decreases. I wont put anything past 1.45v in a 45nm CPU and I wont go past 1.4v 24/7 with a 32nm CPU whether it be Intel or AMD. My old 940BE is still rocking at 1.55v at 3.8ghz under a TRUE 120 Black in the low 50c mark load. Been that way since late 2008 which according to your theoretical limits should be dead by now. Silicon degradation is highly over rated with OCing as a "scare" tactic for noobs. Hell, I have a P1 133mhz that still lives after a 2.2v 166mhz OC since 1999
roll.gif

I have only killed one CPU of which I had major help on. That was my first i5 750 which ran at 4.8ghz -44c for 2 months before I got hit by a major power brown taking out my RAM, CPU, and Mobo (other appliances also dead). This i5 750 I have in my gfs rig has been sitting at 4-4.2ghz under 1.4v for its whole lifespan and hasen't shown any signs of deterioration at all. The only way to kill a CPU by OCing is by being stupid. Being stupid meaning too many volts for the job, trying to get over an OC wall, running the chip too hot (as in 75+c) for way too long, or any other such thing. You can't forget that with the previous gen Intel CPUs RAM volts were a major problem too of which people carelessly putting 1.9v DDR3 2000 in their shiny new Intel rigs and burning up chips. Fortunately for me, I was never that stupid.

I should also add on, that if server CPUs only ran for 5 years then there would be virtually no server market. Server CPUs can run even longer than desktop CPUs because of a high bin.
beerchug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom