How to search for top rated posts?

No. Quite honestly this would be rather useless. As 99.9% of the people dont rate the threads. Plus there is no specific post rating, just topic rating. The only time you see a topic have a rating is when the OP wants to see the 5 star mark by their topic in the forum.

There isnt any. Cause what you will find interesting will not be the same as what is top rated thread wise. You will just have to look through the forums and find what you think is interesting. There is no way any search engine could every find results like your looking for. Not even Google. Cause what you want is solely based on your opinion of the topic. What your opinion is will not be shared by me or anyone else. No way to account for such things in any search.

other sites will show a box with most read, most emailed, most discussed. i think some of these items could be added as columns in your search page and allow ppl to sort by any field.

i do see your point about ranking being biased. i really like the way reddit allows the option to up vote / down vote. i feel it helps me find the more interesting comment first.

I also like how amazon allows me to sort by most popular. Same with App Brain Market. I feel I find more interesting content this way.

But how to find those gems is another thing. How many times have you been browsing around randomly and strike gold?

There might be plugins for some of this once we move to vB 3.8.

other sites will show a box with most read, most emailed, most discussed. i think some of these items could be added as columns in your search page and allow ppl to sort by any field.

i do see your point about ranking being biased. i really like the way reddit allows the option to up vote / down vote. i feel it helps me find the more interesting comment first.

I also like how amazon allows me to sort by most popular. Same with App Brain Market. I feel I find more interesting content this way.

But how to find those gems is another thing. How many times have you been browsing around randomly and strike gold?

We are not reddit, Amazon or App Brain. Not a single one of them operate on the vB Forum Software. So I fail to see how you could even compare a custom built website to a site that runs on pre-built software.

As for how many time I find gold when I browse, all the time. But then again I search very specific terms for the topic I want and dont expect to find something random on websites. That is what RSS feeds are for. To get random information that you want to know about.

This may seem harsh, but it is the dead honest truth. We run pre-built software. Just like Windows is pre-built and not made custom for each person or region. Like Trotter said, maybe there are plugins but there is no guarantee.

i'm not saying this site is reddit amazon or app brain. However, I do suggest that ya'll start some discussions about what features can be added to this site. Look around. What are other sites doing? Should this site do the same? ... because users tend to visit the sites with the best features more often.

I find it odd how you describe this site as prebuilt and not custom. you have the skin and you have the new sidebar with a thread list. You've even commented on that sidebar before.

I don't think it would be too hard to add rating, views, or comments as a searchable field on the search results. the records are already being pulled. all is needed is to add the fields and setup the sorting.

also ... btw ... the android app has a top filter.

so i'll end on that note.

i'm not saying this site is reddit amazon or app brain. However, I do suggest that ya'll start some discussions about what features can be added to this site. Look around. What are other sites doing? Should this site do the same? ... because users tend to visit the sites with the best features more often.

I find it odd how you describe this site as prebuilt and not custom. you have the skin and you have the new sidebar with a thread list. You've even commented on that sidebar before.

I don't think it would be too hard to add rating, views, or comments as a searchable field on the search results. the records are already being pulled. all is needed is to add the fields and setup the sorting.

also ... btw ... the android app has a top filter.

so i'll end on that note.

You don't seem to understand at all about the fact that we run vBulletin software. That means that everything we do must be coded to work and operate with vB. So it doesn't matter what other sites are doing, as they have full time coders that can change and manipulate code to make the site work how they want, while we have to make it work with vB and use something that is already established and with the vB databases.

Plus if we did the same thing as other sites, how would that make us different? Wouldn't we just be following the pack instead of being our own site and doing our own thing? I do not wish to turn TF into yet another Social website that revolves around the current trends on the internet. Facebook is garbage, Twitter is useless and things like Delicious and StumbleUpon are only good for getting hits, not for getting good content.

Yes we have a custom skin, yes we have a custom sidebar. Yet again as already stated, all coded to work with vB. They are not stand alone features. You could not just use the skin or sidebar by itself on a website, you would need the vB software in order to make it work. Just like you need Windows in order to make Windows Live Essentials or Microsoft Office for PC to work. You cant just operate those programs on their own, they rely on other software to operate. Just as our custom modifications require vB to work.

If you dont think it is so hard, try actually buying vB and checking out their code base. Then you will see how hard it truly is to make something work with the garbage that is their code. It is something that has gone downhill with version 4 of the vB software which is why we are looking to downgrade to vB 3.8 which was the last known good version before the conflict arose from the company. Even Baez who has created his own site and maintains it says that it is near impossible to do anything with the current code base. The skin you see, was months of work in progress before it was released. Months of work! Coming from a person who coded his own website, it took him months to work with the vB software to create a skin! So no it wouldnt be easy to just put something together and have it work. It would be almost a full years worth of work to get something like that done, currently, and by then the trends would change and you would want something else implemented. Starting the process all over again.

The Android Top Filter, is top rated posts, which is already what I said in the first response. People rate their posts cause they think it will get more attention when someone sees 5 Stars on the forum index instead of nothing. It doesn't mean that it is a quality topic, it just means that a user rated that topic. That holds no bearings at all on content. Just like reputation it is all based on user opinion. Plus who is to say what content is top rated? Just cause you would think something is high rated doesn't mean that I will, Trotter will or any of our guests will. It is a personal opinion on what is considered "good content" and it has no way to be truly measured.

There is no way to truly and honestly have a rated post system. As it is nothing more than a popularity contest that has no real world bearing. Digg and Reddit have proven this fact time and time again. I can go on those sites and not find a single thing that is worthy to read, but yet they are tops of the list cause people whose opinions differ from mine rate them high. It would be the same thing with this system and it would be flawed to the max.

Back
Top Bottom