A Quieter Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So after a few weeks with my new rig I've come to realize I'm pretty acoustically sensitive.
I sit 3' away from my computer, which sits at about ear level, and its obnoxious.
Not sure if its the Case, 5x CM Sickleflow fans, or Corsair A70.

I plan on building a new rig in April, if I can scrape the cash together, for Kepler and possibly IB if it drops.
I have no trouble choosing core components but I'm stuck on Case, Fans, HSF.

Basically looking for minimal sacrifice to air-flow, since I will OC CPU&GPU, while maximizing noise reduction.
I've tried researching using Silentpcreview.com, but it seems like a lot of their info is out of date.

What I've narrowed it down to so far:

Case - Antec Sonata SOLO II, Silverstone Kublai Series, Fractal Define R3, NZXT H2
Leaning toward the Fractal R3, feel like the Antec is lacking in A-F, and not sure how I feel about the side fans on the Silverstones being switched to the other side.

Fans - Scythe Slipstream, Cougar Vortex, considering I'd only need 2, Noctua might be an option, or Gentle Typhoons if they ever come back to the states.
Trying to justify paying ~$25ea for Noctuas or GTs and having a hard time with it.

HSF - Noctua seem like the best options available...
Was looking at the Corsair Hydro series, can't find dBA info on the pumps, fans are more or less irrelevant since they can be replaced.

Thoughts, opinions, hard evidence, experiences.
All are welcome.

fwiw when I was looking at cases I looked at the H2 and everything I read about it said that it was cheaply built and kinda meh.

question, what is the venting on your computer? Are the vents just gargantuan holes or relatively small? If acoustics is your issue, and this is a relativley new-in-parts rig, then the case is the case.

Bahaha bad pun.

Anywhoozle you can spend lots of money on a new rig to replace this rig
move your rig to the floor
put the rig in like a desk compartment
or start taping up the edge of the random vent all over your comp.

I gues the difference between you and I is that my desktop is always opened up for best venting. Since its a small form factor comp, having the top half off and all sorts of fans blowing in and out doesn't bother me 24/7 XD .

I just want to state my opinion once, and don't penalize me for it, but buying a new rig to replace one that's just noisy seems wasteful to me. If that's your only issue, then tighten up the fans if they're rattling, close up 2 - 3 holes on the venst, and put your rig under your desk.

Just seems logical to me.

Slap me otherwise.

fwiw when I was looking at cases I looked at the H2 and everything I read about it said that it was cheaply built and kinda meh.
Good to know, SPCR's main issue with it was lack of A-F, two strikes and its out.

ph4nt0m117 said:
what is the venting on your computer? Are the vents just gargantuan holes or relatively small?
buying a new rig to replace one that's just noisy seems wasteful to me.
If that's your only issue, then tighten up the fans if they're rattling, close up 2 - 3 holes on the venst, and put your rig under your desk.
2x 140mm holes front (covered by bezel), 2x 140mm top, 140mm side, 120mm rear; all filled with 120mm fans.
I plan on buying new hardware anyway, LGA 775 is just getting dated IMO, so figured it'd be a good time to build it in a quieter box.
New desk w/ a spot for the PC down below might work (bottom mounted PSU and carpeted floor is a no-go), but the cost of a new desk would be about the same as a new case/hsf/fans.
The two top fans are what primarily cause problems, I think, and I've loosened/tightened them with varying degrees of success, but everytime I restart I need to re-calibrate.
I think part of the problem is the rather thin aluminum my case is made out of, it can't handle 6x 2000RPM 120mm fans (+2x 120mm on the HSF) without vibrating like a ... something.

2x 140mm holes front (covered by bezel), 2x 140mm top, 140mm side, 120mm rear; all filled with 120mm fans.
I plan on buying new hardware anyway, LGA 775 is just getting dated IMO, so figured it'd be a good time to build it in a quieter box.
New desk w/ a spot for the PC down below might work (bottom mounted PSU and carpeted floor is a no-go), but the cost of a new desk would be about the same as a new case/hsf/fans.
The two top fans are what primarily cause problems, I think, and I've loosened/tightened them with varying degrees of success, but everytime I restart I need to re-calibrate.
I think part of the problem is the rather thin aluminum my case is made out of, it can't handle 6x 2000RPM 120mm fans (+2x 120mm on the HSF) without vibrating like a ... something.

That something can be seen as positive to some sir, watch yourself XD

Idea, do you, per-chance, have access to plop, yes a plop (it's a technical term), of fiber glass? Just screw it to your case if it rattles so badly, or put a text book on it. Can't be that bad can it?

Technically could flip the PSU so it draws from inside the case, but moot point since the whole thing is getting replaced.
Selling this whole rig locally to help finance the one thats going to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom