800 Dollar Build, Quick reviews please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalnourishedPenguin

Solid State Member
Hey guys, first time poster...went through some of the threads and it seems like you all give some educated advice. I hope you guys wouldn't mind doing the same for me as this is my first build (like so many others) and I'm pretty hesitant about pulling the trigger on these components. I've done a decent amount of research already so I'm mainly just sending this out there to see if there's anything I may have missed. I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and OS. Let me know what you guys think!

secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16476391

(Build actually comes out to $795 including shipping after discounts and rebates)

EDIT: New build. Comes out to $760 after rebate. Updated PSU, RAM, and mobo from above.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13964609

2nd EDIT: Even newer build. Price = $795 after rebate. Updated PSU and GPU from the first edit.
secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=18782072

I actually have a 10 dollar discount on the RAM that I selected...so it's actually cheaper than the kit you posted. Do you still think it's worth it?

The drive you posted doesn't have as many proportionally positive reviews as the drive that I initially picked...I'm willing to spend the extra 4 dollars for a more reliable and proven drive.

As far as the motherboard goes...this is where I feel the most unsure. I did some research, but it is difficult to find a reliable board in this price range. I am willing to go a little bit over my budget if I know the board won't flake out on me, but certainly not $100 more :/

Also, with rebates and discounts the current build comes out to $795 with shipping (I'll put this in my original post).

after a little more research, I was thinking this mobo may be a better choice. Thoughts?

Yeah its probably fine, for real-world situations shouldn't notice the difference.

Fair enough, though I don't put much stock in Newegg reviews since its a craps-shoot.
The majority of bad reviews (for anything on Newegg) are for DOA components, so whos to say that another ODD doesn't have a higher ratio of DOAs, but the buyers just don't care enough (or understand that **** happens) to come back and write a scathing review about it.
Seems like a flawed system to me.

Some other boards I'd consider in the price range.
Put the ASRock in there for comparison.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

First of all I just wanted to say I appreciate the help :)

Second, I took your advice for the RAM, but went with a different kit: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

The options on mobos is nauseating...after a little bit more research I'd really like to go with a Z68 board, scratching out my initial choice. I was looking at another AsRock board: Newegg.com - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

However, the EVGA board you posted intrigues me with it's 30 dollar rebate...who are the most reputable companies when it comes to mobos anyway?

I guess Nissan and Infinity is a fair comparison, I would've gone with Toyota and Lexus.

+1 on that EVGA Z68, nice catch paton.

Awesome, that EVGA board was the one I was looking at.

Okay, so here's the new build with an updated PSU (Rethought the OCZ), RAM, and mobo.

Let me know what you think
secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13964609

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom