Adding more ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Hello, I have a friend that is wanting to add more ram to his computer. Thing is the computer is using OCZ SLI DDR2 800 5-4-4-15 ram that runs at 2.1v and that is no longer being made and it seems like all the decent deals on DDR2 ram is for 1.8v and/or with worse timings. Would any 1.8v ram work, or would some 1.8v run to hot at 2.1v? I was thinking about trying to under volt the current ram but I was hopeing to find something that would just work out of the box.

Basically can I get some suggestions on 2x1GB or 2x2GB DDR2 ram with preferbly higher stock voltage requirements or ones that are known to run well at 2-2.1v? He is also planning on getting another hard drive so if anyone knows of a combo deal with the ram and a 1TB or larger hard drive that would be nice to.

This is his current ram
Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N800SR4GK
current mobo
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

The HDD would be for storage.

For the ram I was hopeing to find something that was on sale. I've found 4GB DDR2 ram for $30 after rebate so I was hopeing to find some higher voltage stuff for ~$40 or 2GB for ~$25.

That's the only one available on newegg at that voltage and speed.

Your best bet is to get a new set. So you won't be throttling the voltages and timings. What are you trying to achieve? 8GB is really pricey as far as DDR2 goes.

Well my friend wants more ram because he runs a modified version of a game (GTR2 racing sim IIRC) and apparently it takes a lot of ram. Ran a program that lets it access 4GB but since thats all the computer has its still not enough (runs FSX flight sim to). So he wants to get more ram. He said 2GB but it looks like 4GB wouldn't be that much more so I was looking for both. He currently is running 2x2GB and has 2 open slots so I was hopeing to get a 2 stick kit that will run. The timings don't have to be as good as the current ram but I don't want to have him order ram and then find out that it can't handle the volts that the current ram requires.

I might go over there sometime and find out if I can undervolt the current ram since I'm pretty sure its slightly underclocked right now(rated for 400 but running ~380 and stock timings IIRC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom