ARGHH, can't decide... amd vs. pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.
560w Thermaltake Purepower for $100 or the Ultra Modular connection PSU also for $100, but are quality PSU's with good rails.

in the future you may want to edit instead of posting twice in a row, its proper procedure around here... just hit edit on the left side of a previous post... and as for the psu i think you should be fine with a moderate one, im running an AMD xp2800+ 2 optical drives 2 harddrives and a geforce FX5200(with an extra molex in it) and im on a 300W PSU... bout to buy a case with 450W tho...

The output is what you want to look at:

Output: +3.3V@30/17A,+5V@44/24A,-5V@0.3A,+12V@16/28A,-12@0.8A,+5VSB@2A

Mainly the +3.3, +5, and +12v rails.

so you're lookin at:

+3.3v - 17a
+5v - 24a
+12v - 28a

The +3.3v Rail is fairly weak, generally you want one in atleast the 20's, the +12v rail on the otherhand is pretty damn sturdy for the +12v rail which a lot of power will be coming from, CPU gets it's power directly from the +12v line, and so do all your fans, a little bit from each HD, and optical drives also.

Check out this page:

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page2.asp

Gives you info on how to find out how much power you need. If you look at that chart not too many devices use the +3.3v rail so that rating of 17a will more than likely be enough unless you just really have a lot of stuff inside, you never want to use up the full 17a though, you want your total to be at like 13-14 after you've found out how much ampere's are needed on the +3.3v rail for your system.

EDIT: BTW leonidas, I can't believe that 5200 requires an extra molex connector, must be because it's the Ultra, I think all the Ultas in the FX series needs one, cause my 5700 doesn't need one but my friends 128mb 5700 Ultra does.

yah it does and it is a very crappy card... i got a question tho, why dont you use your 9600XT? its got to be better than that 5700...

what exactly is a rail? many people refer to it an di have no clue what it is.

thanks

i got a question tho, why dont you use your 9600XT? its got to be better than that 5700...

Nah it really isn't. When I built the AMD64 machine with that card in it, it ran doom on the same settings maybe 5FPS faster than mine even with his having 1gb of DC Ram and that particular card...so it really wouldn't be worth switching it out and putting it in my system, getting rid of my nvidia drivers completely which is generally a pain to do. My 5700 OC'd performs as good as that stock 9600XT atleast in my real world tests it did....

Rail is not a 'fancy' term... it is the correct term as I doubt he would have understood 'Dont forget to check your powered wire/lead ratings!'

It refers to the +3.3v, +5v and +12v lines of power that run through certain colors of the wires you'll see coming from your PSU...different devices require different amounts from each 'rail' if any so thats how you can calculate whether or not a +12v rail with a rating of 25a woud be sufficient for your system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom